• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injury at a party

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



This past Saturday I held a party that was open to the public. I rented out a local bar and restaurant in San Francisco CA and under contract I was supposed to have security guards there. My security guards never showed up. Half an hour before the party was going to end. A fight broke out amongst three of the attendees. One of which was hit in the back of the head with a bottle and was injured. I am not sure however, of how badly. I am wondering what kind of rights do I have as the party thrower? Can those injured individuals sue me? What can I do to protect myself.


Senior Member
The premises owner -- the bar -- has primary responsibility, and while its insurance company may defend, it may also sue you. Best advice is to speak to a lawyer locally and find out if there is anything you can do to protect yourself.

This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential