• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injury with brother's homeowners insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

beht91208

4 months ago I fell down the stairs at my brothers house and fractured my leg. He had put a curtain up in an area near a stairwell and pushed towels at the bottom of the heavy curtains to keep the cold air out of the main part of the house.
When I stepped through the curtains I had no idea there were stairs there, fell down and had a nasty fracture. Was in a cast for 3 months, then physical therapy I'm still going through ...4 months and going and I still can't walk. Use to be an avid hiker and instead have been flat on my back for 4 months now.

I don't want my brother in any financial trouble, but at the same time my bills are mounting and my lifestyle changed drastically with no end in sight. Can I claim against his homeowners insurance without hurting him? What options do I have?

BethA

tammy8

The homeowners policy is just for things like this; however a couple of other things to look at. Has your brother had any other claims on his homeowners policy? If so within the last couple of yrs, his policy could possibly be non renewed by the company. Is your brother planning on purchasing a new home, rental properties, renters ins within the next 3-5 yrs? If so then most companies will probably deny him a new homewoners policy. Again the homeowners policy is jsut for these cases but just wanted to give you a heads up. Hope you feel better soon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">