• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

floracloversun

Greeting. I have a question. I fell in front of the shop of one in my neighborhood. There is a recording but it happened 2 weeks ago. Can I claim compensation even though 2 weeks have passed or not?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Greeting. I have a question. I fell in front of the shop of one in my neighborhood. There is a recording but it happened 2 weeks ago. Can I claim compensation even though 2 weeks have passed or not?
Sorry - this forum is for US law only.

Just Blue

What State?
Why did you fall?
Does the shop own the sidewalk?
Were you injured?
Did you go to the doctor/ER?
What damages did you suffer?

quincy

Can you claim compensation? Possibly.

First, answer the questions previously asked of you.

Second, speak to a personal injury attorney in your area for a personal review of your injuries and the facts leading up to your injuries.

Personal injury attorneys in the U.S. will (generally) offer free initial consultations and personal injury cases are (often) litigated on a contingency basis, where the attorney will take his fees and expenses from any damages awarded in the case. You will not pay upfront for representation if the attorney believes you have a case with merit and worth pursuing.

zddoodah

I fell in front of the shop of one in my neighborhood.
The shop of one what?

Can I claim compensation even though 2 weeks have passed or not?
You can claim anything you like, but I doubt that's what you really intended to ask. Please answer the following questions:

1. In what state did this happen?
2. What were you doing at the time you fell?
3. What was the cause of you falling?
4. What injuries (if any) did you suffer as a result of the fall?
5. How much have your medical bills been to date (and, if you're not fully recovered, how much do you expect your future bills to be)?
6. Have you lost any income as a result of what happened? If so, how much?
7. Why do you believe anyone other than you should be liable for what happened?

quincy

For personal injury complaints, the statute of limitations (the time within which you must file a legal action) varies widely from state to state, from as short as one year in some states up to six years in other states. That is why your state name is important.

That said, there can be other time considerations. The longer you wait to see a doctor to document your injury, and the longer you wait to contact the one who is responsible for the condition of the property where you fell, for example, the more difficult it will be for you to mount a successful case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">