• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ins. cancelled in New York

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

beat goes on

What is the name of your state? New York.I moved to NY in March and have had trouble with agent/ins. co for awhile. IN Dec. paid $1100+ for a premioum. suddenly got a premium notice later that month. I caled the agent who toldme the balance of my premium was $873 for the year. I sent them a check. On June 17th I received another premium notice and sent the Insurance company a letter saying I believed my insurance to be paid til the end of the years policy n( Aug. 30th). I never heard form the insurance company agian until a cancellation notice last week ( I am away for a few months and hd mail forwarded). I called the agent who told me they cancelled my ins. effective the end of the policy because I had nto sent them a copy of my New Jersey Licens ( agent did not understand I no longer live in New Jersey). He told me to fax a copy of my NY license and registration which I did. I called on MOnday to be told Oh yes everything is set I sent the copy of your license to the inssurance company. I then said OK. I guess everything is clear with the insruance co abut the premiums. He then told me they cancelled my policy due to non payment. At this point I am staring at the phone thinking I realy misunderstood him. One minute he tells me everything is fine and the next my insurance is cancelled. We then got into a discord about my address. He still had my address as New Jersey- so the mail was gong to an old PO Box. I told him my address changd to New York and he toldmehe did not have the new address. I asked how I got the required NY ins. card for the car. I wrote to the CEO of the company who had the VP in charge of personal insurance look into the matter. I had to hound them to get information. Yesterday I received a call my insurance was cancelled effective July 31st so I shoudl look for another company. In the meantime I had looked into ins. to be told my house cannot be insured becasue it is on the water and I now have to go into assigned risk because my insurance had been cancelled by the company. Priorto knowing this I had spoken to the VP who made the decision aabout my policy who told me the decision was based on the non payment. HOwever, he admitted he was reading my letter of June 17th as we spoke. I feel the decision was made without all the facts at hand. I have been a customer for 17 years. He said the letter wentot the bank saddress which is th eonly address I had for the insruance co. He said that is where the premiums are sent. If I got the billl where else woudl I send the letter- the address ont he bill I would think. What recourse do I have with the insruance company? Agent? I feel this is a double edged sword with the both of them. The VP admitted making the decision without reading my letter form 5 weeks ago regarding the letter. this comapny handles car, home and umbrella policy. Thanks so much for listening.

C

CIAA

Unfortunately there is probably little that can be done. The insurance company is not required to send out premium notices, although they apparently did, and the agent cannot verbally bind the company or change the terms of the policy, in most instances. The major problem is, you did get a premium notice and you should have contacted the premium deppartment of the company rather than the agent.

B

beat goes on

CIAA thanks so much for your reply. when I received the premium notice I sent a letter to the insurance company. they claim they did nto receive it. It went to their banking division. the VP who made the decision as we spoke said he had not seen the letter until we started speaking. Obviously it was on file but noone bothered to read it. would it help to write to the New York State Insurance commission to file a complaint? Thanks agian

C

CIAA

It may indeed have the effect of making the insurance company improve their internal proceedures of routing, locating and responding to inquiries, but they can't require that the insurance company provide coverage where the premiums were not paid in accordance with the terms of the contract.

Depending on the extent to which your letter raised legitimate along with the fact that the VP has admitted their failure to be responsive in a timely manner, it would seem that he could make an exception in this case and allow reinstatement if he was so inclined. Perhaps you should try talking to him about the problem you now face.

B

beat goes on

:D
Dear CIAA,
thaknks so much for your rep0ly. Believe it or not but miracles do happen. I received a call form the Senior VP in cyharge of PEtrosan Ins. with the company. they aqdmitted making a mistake and reinstated my insurance. However, I will now look for a new agent. god was with me on this one. Thanks again. And The Beat goes ON

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">