• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

INS Interview-Change of Status

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jerezem

What is the name of your state? NY State
I entered marriage in good faith Dec 12, 2001. Our son was born here in NYS Dec 20, 2001 & I applied for change of status January 2002. My husband is apparently seeing someone on the ship, thinks he's in-love (again!?) & because I argued with him, "he" wants a Divorce. Nothing has been officially filed yet. I have cancelled my previous INS interview sched but then now he's decided not to come with me, instead asked his father to help me. My application was a joint sponsorship with his dad. I currently don't have a job, too. If I do find a job can I change my application & have them sponsor me? Please help )-; TY JStage

LegalBeagle

Jerezem said:
What is the name of your state? NY State
I entered marriage in good faith Dec 12, 2001. Our son was born here in NYS Dec 20, 2001 & I applied for change of status January 2002. My husband is apparently seeing someone on the ship, thinks he's in-love (again!?) & because I argued with him, "he" wants a Divorce. Nothing has been officially filed yet. I have cancelled my previous INS interview sched but then now he's decided not to come with me, instead asked his father to help me. My application was a joint sponsorship with his dad. I currently don't have a job, too. If I do find a job can I change my application & have them sponsor me? Please help )-; TY JStage
It all depends on what visa you entered the US on.. ie, what was your status at the time of marriage.

J

Jerezem

Thanks for replying. I was on Tourist visa before I got married. It expired b4 we got married. I didn't have the chance anymore to extend it or see the necessity of doing it coz he asked me to marry him.

LegalBeagle

Jerezem said:
Thanks for replying. I was on Tourist visa before I got married. It expired b4 we got married. I didn't have the chance anymore to extend it or see the necessity of doing it coz he asked me to marry him.

All you can do is follow through with the change of status (if you can) and explain the situation.. An immigration attorney would help.. and you are going to need a lot of help to avoid being deported.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">