• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

INS Pardon?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Washington

Please advise on how I can get a minor marijuana possession fine ($500 USD) from a 1975 border-crossing attempt permanently removed or pardoned from my record with the INS so I can continue entering the U.S. from Canada, preferably, without having to apply for an annual $245 USD “Waiver” or a “temporary” pardon. If this is not possible, I would like advise on other options and/or how to proceed going forward.

In 1975 I was a 21-year-old university student. I had attended a party on a Saturday night (can’t recall the exact dates) and wanted to go skiing at Mt. Baker Washington the following morning when the Immigration Officer at the Sumas Washington border crossing found two marijuana cigarettes in my vehicle. I completely forgot they were left there from the evening before. I was never formally charged for this offence (i.e. no court appearance etc.) and the Immigration Officer(s) at that time assured me I would never have any future problems entering the U.S. They also said any record of the offence would likely disappear within about 7 years. As such, I have since travelled freely to and through the U.S. on a regular basis for the past 27 years for recreation and business. Shortly after this incident I left university and became employed with a major telecommunications company and have been there ever since. Currently I am a Sales Representative for some of our major corporate clients. Occasionally, I am required to travel to the U.S. for business meetings or training. I also have numerous friends and relatives in the U.S. and in 1991, I also purchased property in Pt. Roberts Washington for investment purposes. Since the 1975 incident, I have never had an issue crossing the border until this past Monday, August 5th where this “history” was brought to my attention by a Pt. Roberts Immigration Officer when I was asked to go into the office and get my ID checked after forgetting to bring other proof of citizenship. On this occasion, I simply wanted to do an annual check on the status of my property in Pt. Roberts. For such an old and minor incident, I find it grossly unfair that suddenly my only alternative for U.S. entry is to start paying an annual waiver fee of $245 USD. I also understand that since 9/11 the processing time for these waivers is now 10-11 months.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential