• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ins. Stopped Paying Claim during therapy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

Vixtres

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

Hi,

This story is such a nightmare..........bless anyone who reads it.

Subject:

My son was in speech therapy and our insurance company quit paying for it during the middle of his treatment.

Long version:

I brought my son to our pediatrician to get a paper trail started for speech treatment. The Dr. referred us to our local hospital for speech therapy due to a developmental disorder and severe speech delay.

The Dr.'s office called our ins. co., the phone number on the card, to check and see if ST was covered. They said yes. The Dr. also referred us to a neurologist to evaluate my son.

When I get home that afternoon, I called my insurance co. to make sure that the visit to the neurologist was covered, they said no. I also asked about speech therapy, the manager that I got on the phone said "yes, it is covered. If you have any trouble, let me know." I got his name and his direct number at the office.

We go to the neurologist anyway for another eval. The Dr. there recommended Occupational Therapy along with Speech at the same Hospital.

We finally get our appt. for a speech and OT eval at the Hospital. The Speech Dept. couldn't get anyone on the phone at our ins. co. so I called the direct number to the manager I'd spoken with earlier about coverage. He spoke to the person in the Speech Dept and approved coverage. He told her it was covered 90%, no ceiling.

We started Speech and OT, everything was going beautifully for my son. We went for about 4 mos. before any problemes started arrising.

After Jan. I noticed that the ins. co. wasn't paying anything according to my EOB's. I called that particular manager, David, and asked him about it. He said not to worry, he'd take care of it.

Months later, nothing was ever done about it. I called him and he told me the same thing, he'd take care of it. His assistants knew about the problem and said he'd written a memo telling the claims supervisor to put them through.

Well, come to find out, speech was never supposed to have been covered if my child had never had a brain injury. And this man, David, never had authorization to approve our coverage. The company he works for is just an administration co. that my husband's employer hired to do the administrative portion of ins. claims, my husband's company is self pay, or self insured.

This manager, David, denies ever approving the coverage and denies talking to me about it before we ever started the therapy sessions. So, basically, it's my word against his.

The administrative company denies ever paying for the speech therapy. But I have all the copies of the bills that the hospital sent to our ins. co. And they paid upwards of $8000 or so on that speech acct. The administrative company claims that the hospital "changed codes" to get them to pay for services.

Is there anything I can do right now? I owe a lot of money and my husband's co. said that I should accept what they did pay as a gift since they were never supposed to cover speech therapy in the first place. But they refuse to pay the rest of the claim.

I am beyond livid at this point. Is there any recourse for me?

Thank you so much for any responses.

Vicki

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Vicki, if this claim was accepted in error then they could, legally, ask you to repay the money they have already paid on this claim. I'm inclined to think that your husband's company is right. If this is a non-covered treatment (and it is not at all unusual for speech therapy to only be covered for specific reasons, causes, and often only a limited number of visits altogether) then you cannot force them to pay the rest of a claim that should never have been covered in the first place.

You most likely have the right of appeal and if it does not tell you how to appeal in the plan document, your husband's company should be able to tell you. However, if this is legitimately a non-covered benefit, it is highly unlikely that you will win.

V

Vixtres

Thank you cbg

Thank you for your response. It wasn't what I'd hoped for, but it atleast it helps me ease into my acceptance stage. What a bummer. I am just so angry that for someone else's mistake *I* have to pay for it. The reason I called our ins. co. in the first place to make sure that it was covered was so that I wouldn't be in the position I'm in right now, owing a ton of money. And I thought I'd done all the right things................dang, the little guy loses again.

I really do appreciate your response. Thank you for taking the time.

Vicki

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Look at it this way. Your son would have needed the treatment regardless of whether or not it was covered. This way, he got the treatment he needed and at least part of it was covered.

V

Vixtres

Yes, he did need the treatment, and the treatment he got was worth every penny. BUT, if I'd known that they weren't going to pay for it (for the rest of it), I'd have changed from a hospital who charges $141 per 45 min session to a private speech therapist who charges $28 per 1/2 hour. It would have made a huge difference in what I owe today.

On the flip side, my son is talking well enough to the point of getting trouble in school for it..................and I don't even fuss at him for that. We paid (and are still paying) plenty just to hear him talk.

Thank you so much for your time cbg!

Vicki

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">