• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Instance of intense physical abuse as a child.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

When I was between the ages of 4 and 6, I was the victim of a single instance of intense physical assault. Its something I feel like I need to deal with. The person did harm to me that may now be causing me serious pain and physical problems. A Doctor told me that he thinks it probably is the cause.

What kind of attorney would I speak with about this?

Whoops2u

If the assault was sexual, you have three years from turning 18 to file any case. Was the assault sexual? Are you older than 21? (On an odd side note, was the assault repressed so you only found out about it recently?)

Dealing with this is probably not going to get handled by an attorney but a doctor. A doctor knowledgeable in Post Traumatic Stress Disorders.

quincy

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

When I was between the ages of 4 and 6, I was the victim of a single instance of intense physical assault. Its something I feel like I need to deal with. The person did harm to me that may now be causing me serious pain and physical problems. A Doctor told me that he thinks it probably is the cause.

What kind of attorney would I speak with about this?
Was the assault reported to the police at the time or were you treated by a physician at the time?

How old are you now?

I don't recall anything done to me being outright sexual, but it was suppressed for a while. It happened very quickly and was so sadistic and ultraviolent that I'm sure he got some kind of power gratification out of it. I mean, to do what he did to an innocent child for absolutely no reason.

Thanks for responding but I spoke to a few attorneys in my area earlier. I may press charges for prosecution, I'm already aware I cant pursue it for compensation. My concern in the first place was making sure if it has happened to anyone else they know they arent alone and so that its on record because I found out recently he has a very young child and if anything was ever to happen to his kid, there would be record of what happened to me. People should know he is garbage.

I plan on talking to someone about it. I've kept it bottled up for long enough. It may account for ongoing severe chronic pain in my back.

Any advice or comments on how I should go about pressing charges is welcomed. To be honest, Im still kind of afraid of the guy. He's evil.

Complicated part is I am still friends with his nephew but I dont think I should silence myself because of that. He should be held accountable for what he did.

quincy

How old are you now?

I would be very careful what you say about the man, and to whom you say it. You can speak to a therapist and/or an attorney but I recommend you say nothing publicly that can harm the man's reputation lest you are sued for defamation.

You can ask your attorney about the wisdom of reporting the incident to the police.

Good luck.

commentator

You really need to have some good therapy, because what I wonder is exactly what you are seeking from this action, and this situation seems to me much more like something that calls for a therapy place to start than a legal place to start.

What would it take to make you feel better about what happened? What could a lawsuit or court case do except poke the bear, re-establish your contact with this person you are afraid of and whom you believe to be evil, make you think more and more about what happened to you, make him think more about you again, possibly putting you in actual danger, if not just surely giving you some bad scenes and new emotional experiences? Would it not be better, perhaps, to move on and not let this person ruin MORE of your life than he already has, simply to chase an illusive phantom of an idea that you want to punish him?

It is often the case that even in situations where the person actually gets to watch the person who hurt them be tried and sent away/punished in some way, it isn't quite as helpful to them as they've imagined it will be.

It is apparent this person still occupies some pretty fair amount of space inside your head, is someone you dwell on, and long before you bring around any sort of attempted legal action, you need to be working with a good therapist about your anxiety and your physical problems that may have their root in what happened to you. (And possibly might not).

quincy

I meant, how did you come in contact with him when you were young?

And how old are you now?

You really need to have some good therapy, because what I wonder is exactly what you are seeking from this action, and this situation seems to me much more like something that calls for a therapy place to start than a legal place to start.

What would it take to make you feel better about what happened? What could a lawsuit or court case do except poke the bear, re-establish your contact with this person you are afraid of and whom you believe to be evil, make you think more and more about what happened to you, make him think more about you again, possibly putting you in actual danger, if not just surely giving you some bad scenes and new emotional experiences? Would it not be better, perhaps, to move on and not let this person ruin MORE of your life than he already has, simply to chase an illusive phantom of an idea that you want to punish him?

It is often the case that even in situations where the person actually gets to watch the person who hurt them be tried and sent away/punished in some way, it isn't quite as helpful to them as they've imagined it will be.

It is apparent this person still occupies some pretty fair amount of space inside your head, is someone you dwell on, and long before you bring around any sort of attempted legal action, you need to be working with a good therapist about your anxiety and your physical problems that may have their root in what happened to you. (And possibly might not).

Maybe reread what I posted? My concern is only for others.

I will speak with a therapist, but the only point of this is getting it on record somewhere that it did take place. What if something happens in the future to his kid or someone else and my reporting of what happened could focus law enforcement attention on him. My ONLY concern in reporting it, is for others. That is it. You hear about repeat offenders a lot when it comes to hurting children in various ways and they get away with it because no one ever says anything. I kind of feel like I have a responsibility.

xylene

You state that you aren't sure exactly when this happened. Do you have any corroboration of the incident? Witnesses that you were injured? Any doctros report? The statement of a parent or guardian?

quincy

Thank you for providing your age. How did you come into contact with the man when you were young? How do you know his nephew?

Although you are past the time within which you can take legal action against the man, you can ask an attorney in your area to go over with you any possible options.

Again, however, I recommend you do not publicly accuse the man of any abuse unless or until you have some evidence to support your claim.

Good luck.

You state that you aren't sure exactly when this happened. Do you have any corroboration of the incident? Witnesses that you were injured? Any doctros report? The statement of a parent or guardian?
I know that it happened between 1989-1991. He had just gotten out of prison within the week before it happened and had been there for years, so a reasonable date could be determined. The only other people in the house were his sister and his nephew (my friend). My friend witnessed part of it, thats why he stopped. They know, not sure if they would testify. No doctors reports. I was terrified and didnt tell my parents until a couple years ago.
I ran into him at my friends wedding. Thats why it all came back up. I feel like I have a responsibility and ultimately I guess he should be held accountable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">