• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance and termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

squeeker1

What is the name of your state? Illinois
can an employer legally terminate your insurance the same day the employment is terminated?

averad

squeeker1 said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois
can an employer legally terminate your insurance the same day the employment is terminated?
Yes, unless its a state law for Illinois. Check your benifit booklet and review the eligibility section.

Also you could call the Insurance carrier who could answer your question as they know your policy.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am not aware of any state that requires insurance to continue until the end of the month.

What does your SPD say?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Then why didn't you tell them? Or don't you know?

Poster, I'm referring to the Summary Plan Description which should spell out for you when coverage will be terminated. It is quite common for coverage to terminate on the last day of employment.

averad

cbg said:
Then why didn't you tell them? Or don't you know?
I guess you missed all the reporting on Health Care confusion and terminology.

http://www.spd.org/
As a member I didnt want people confused *rollseyes*

Note: I am not a member or affiliated with SPD or SPD.org

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Uh-huh. It made far more sense to snipe at me rather than to simply define it for the poster. That would have been too easy.

averad

cbg said:
Uh-huh. It made far more sense to snipe at me rather than to simply define it for the poster. That would have been too easy.
I take after IAAL I guess or I wanted you to notice that a member could be confused.

O well hopefully you dont deal with Med D because no one would understand you (the word formulary is to confusing)

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't see IAAL in here sniping at me. If you think a member might be confused, you're free to set them straight. How I post is none of your business, unless someone made you a moderator and I didn't get the memo.

averad

cbg said:
I don't see IAAL in here sniping at me. If you think a member might be confused, you're free to set them straight. How I post is none of your business, unless someone made you a moderator and I didn't get the memo.
*Hugs* O well the OP was answered see you in the next post.

Last edited:

turbowray

can this person pay for coverage under the cobra plan?

I dont know if continued insurance payments are always offered if you are terminated so im just asking? For those of you who are wondering lol,cobra is the name of someone paying out of thier own pocket to continue the same insurance coverage they had with thier previous employer if it would be cheaper than getting other coverage on thier own (so if they were say in the middle of cancer treatment,paying out of the pocket for the continued medical coverage would be well worth it)!:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">