• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lapm999

What is the name of your state? Texas
I was fired from a company that I had been with for three years. While working there I had full benefits that included health insurance. My question is......was the company that fired me suppose to offer me insurance after my termination that would allow me to still have health coverage? What am I legally entitled to?

lapm999

Beth3 said:
1. How many employees does this company have?
2. What date were you terminated?
The company that I was fired from has over 50 employees and I was terminated at the end of March of this year.

lapm999

cbg said:
Which leads to one more question: What were you fired for?
I worked for this company for three years and all that I was told was that I had a bad attitude and that I was no longer a team player. I asked if they could be more specific, and I was told that it was not relevant. Therefore, I never received a clear reason for dismissal.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Doesn't matter. It doesn't appear to have been a anything that could be classified as gross misconduct.

That being the case, your employer had up to 44 days after the last day of your employment/the last day of your insurance coverage to notify you of your right to COBRA (under which you can stay on the company's health insurance at your own expense).

They were NOT required to continue your health insurance at their expense.

lapm999

cbg said:
Doesn't matter. It doesn't appear to have been a anything that could be classified as gross misconduct.

That being the case, your employer had up to 44 days after the last day of your employment/the last day of your insurance coverage to notify you of your right to COBRA (under which you can stay on the company's health insurance at your own expense).

They were NOT required to continue your health insurance at their expense.
I understand thet they were not responsible to pay the coverage of the Health Insurance.....but the company NEVER offered me the choice of COBRA after I was terminated. Is there anything that I can do about this?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, you can contact the US DOL and file a complaint of COBRA violation.

lapm999

cbg said:
Yes, you can contact the US DOL and file a complaint of COBRA violation.
Can you explain what the US DOL is, and tell me how to contact them? Thank you for your help.

Sockeye

IT's the United States Department of Labor, the best thing to do is look in your local phonebook or do an internet search for your nearest office.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">