• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Cancellation and Reinstatement after Premium Receipt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dmduran

In Florida,

If your premium is due on the 5th, but it is received on the 11th by the insurance company and postmarked the 7th by the US Postal Service, is one's insurance policy reinstated as of the 7th if the cancellation date is the 5th?

I was involved in an an accident on the 9th. I was at fault. The insurance company is declining coverage.

Do I have a case for demading that my insurance company assume liablity on the 9th?

Last edited:

C

CUDALIS

to dmduran'

You don't mention the effective date of cancellation. was the 'due' date of the 5th, the date of cancellation? Also, as far as the post mark date, the insurance company, especially if you're talking cancellation, payment should be RECEIVED by the company, preferably via certified mail. If in fact the cancellation date was the 5th, then I would imagine you sent the payment after the policy had cancelled. Usually if the payment is timely, reinstatement is effective the date of cancellation, with no lapse. At least I believe this is how it works in my state. I no nothing of florida.

D

Donna32669

Premium Payment/FL

It is necessary to have more information as stated in the prior post. However, the insurance company will have established
procedure on reinstatements. They will practice this on each reinstatement, regardless of a claim. In my opinion, if you received the cancellation prior to the 5th, and that was the
date of cancellation, no coverage would apply. Whenever you are dealing with a deadline of this serious nature payment by
Certified Mail; electronic or in person (and obtain a receipt with the date & time) is the only way to handle this. Sorry I can't offer any help, without the exact dates and types of notices you were
sent it is difficult. If you do feel that this is being done in error
by the insurer, and there are a few of the "sub standard" ones in
Florida that may try it, contact the Insurance Commissioners office immediately. They have a web site, and a toll free number.
Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">