• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Cancelled For 3 Months

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jan lambert

What is the name of your state? VIRGINIA-MY FAMILY HAS COVERAGE WITH ANTHEM (TRIGON PREVIOUSLY) THRU MY HUSBAND'S WORK (STATE INSURED). IT COVERS DEPENDENTS TO AGE 23 UNLESS THEY BECOME ELIGIBLE FOR OTHER COVERAGE. OUR DAUGHTER GOT HER OWN INSURANCE TWO YEARS AGO. WE FAILED TO TAKE HER OFF OUR INSURANCE (WE JUST FORGOT), BUT NO CLAIMS HAVE BEEN FILED FOR HER UNDER OUR POLICY SINCE SHE RECEIVED HER OWN POLICY. THE STATE FOUND OUT THAT THEY WERE STILL COVERING HER (NO CLAIMS ON FILE FOR HER) AND IS DROPPING OUR INSURANCE FOR THREE MONTHS AS A PENALTY FOR NOT NOTIFYING US LEAVING US WITHOUT COVERAGE. THEY SAID THEY KNEW IT WAS NOT FRAUD BUT THEY ARE "SLAPPING US ON THE WRIST" FOR NOT LETTING THEM KNOW. CAN THEY DO THIS????

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Please do not type in all caps; it makes your message very hard to read and is considered shouting on the Internet.

In the private sector, what you describe would be illegal, however, the laws are often different in the public sector. I believe that they cannot do this in the public sector either; however, you would be best served by contacting the state insurance commission and/or the state DOL, and verifying it there. Since they are the agencies you would be reporting the issue to anyway, that would be the best place to start.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">