• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Changes Pregnancy Deductible

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kbmmartin

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

My daughter's medical insurance has covered pregnancy delivery with a $1000 deductible. She has been on this insurance for over one year. Three weeks before her delivery the insurance plan is changing to a $2500 deductible which the insurance says she must pay. Any pointers to documentation to help us fight this?

Thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Is this group health insurance or individual?

What is the deductible for non-pregnancy related conditions?

K

kbmmartin

> Is this a group or individual plan?

Creighton University's student health insurance plan.

The new deductible holds for all medical problems, not just pregnancy.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If the new deductible holds for everything, there's nothing she can do about it. The cost of insurance right now is so astronomically high that increasing deductibles and/or going to lower benefits plans are sometimes the only way that an employer (or school, in this case) can continue to offer coverage. If the new deductible were only for pregnancy, that would have been illegal, but if that's the new deductible on the plan for everyone, that's all she wrote.

Beth3

Ditto. I expect the school instituted a significant deductible increase because they were faced with a whopping premium increase. This is going on all over. (My employer's insurance carrier just presented us with a 39% premium increase. We'll be dropping them and switching to a health plan with higher deductibles, among other things.)

Your daughter is the victim of bad timing, nothing more.

K

kbmmartin

Thanks cbg and beth3. Not the answer I wanted to hear but it's best to know it right away and move on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">