• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

insurance check after death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

carliemarie

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
My Dad was put in a nursing home in Pennsylvania, and passed away there. My brother had control of all insurance claims. Every check that came my brother would ask me for and I gave to him he said he needed to give it to the nursing home. Now, its almost a year later and another check came to me and also my two brothers. My question is do I have to give up the check, and if the check needs to go to the nursing home wouldn't there be some paper work saying this. I asked my brother for the nursing home address and I would send the check and he said no don't do that send it to me. Does this seem right???Do I legally need to give him that check when the check said this part was my share.
Please someone help.
Thank you Carlie

C

CIAA

Get some professional advise. You are right.....this doesn't sound right.

ALawyer

It's time to ask yor brother for an explanation -- and if the check was for a life insurancxe benefit -- it undobtedly belongs to the beneficiaries and NOT the nursing home or your dad's creditors.

C

carliemarie

insurance check

Thank you so much, but he called and said it needs to go to the state because they took care of my dad.Does this sound right?
I think that he would have turned over these policies while dad was still alive and in a nursing home. He said the state took care of him, although he gave them dad's entire social security check every month.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">