• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

insurance claim information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

David Macdonald

How can I freeze payment of insurance policy proceeds until I can get a judgement from a court on the rightful beneficiary. Policy amount only $1,000 (small claims?).
In 1991 my mother asked myself and my sister if either of us wanted to continue paying on several small policies that she had taken out. I opted to continue paying on policies that she had with me being beneficiary. My sister decided not to continue with policies showing her as beneficiary. My mother recently passed away and when I submitted the claim I was told the policy showed my sister as the beneficiary. I have practically paid the entire amount of the face value of the policy and I have a feeling my sister will not sign over the benefit to me and that if she does claim it then I will never see any of the monies my mother had intended for me. Apparently the wrong policy was given to me when my mother went to a nursing home and it is my intention to let a judge in small claims court make the determination of who is the rightful beneficiary. I have proof of my payment schedule and I don't think my sister will dispute the series of events leading to my paying my mother's policy. My mother, at that time was in the early stages of Alshiemer's disease and it was her desire for her children to continue the policies. If anyone out there can give me any advice I will appreciate it. Thanks

[Edited by David Macdonald on 01-23-2001 at 08:28 PM]

ALawyer

Speak to your sister. Offer to share the benefits to avoid aggravating what must be a bad family situation. If bthat does not work, notify the insuranace company. The insurance company does not want to get into the midst of a family dispute and likely would deposit the money in court and let the 2 siblings fight things out.

D

David Macdonald

Thank you for your reply to my problem. I have been considering doing what you wrote about but still have reservations. I sincerely appreciate your input.
Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">