• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance claim - water damage caused by upstairs condo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rebroach

What is the name of your state? Florida.

My condo sustained water damage caused by a leaking pipe from an upstairs condo. Both the insurance carrier for the condo association and my carrier have denied coverage based on policy exclusions. Do I have a valid claim against the owner of the upstairs condo (through his homeowners policy) even though the leak was not his fault?

Thanks for any help.

R. Broach

HomeGuru

rebroach said:
What is the name of your state? Florida.

My condo sustained water damage caused by a leaking pipe from an upstairs condo. Both the insurance carrier for the condo association and my carrier have denied coverage based on policy exclusions. Do I have a valid claim against the owner of the upstairs condo (through his homeowners policy) even though the leak was not his fault?

Thanks for any help.

R. Broach

**A: yes, sue the condo owner and force him/her to sue the HOA in return.
Who is responsible for the leak and who owns the leaking pipe; the HOA, you or the upstairs condo owner?

R

rebroach

Insurance claim - water damage from upstairs condo

HomeGuru,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

The upstairs condo owner owns the leaking pipe, which burst while he was away from the condo. Water drained down into my condo, which is directly beneath his. I am not aware of any fault on the part of the HOA.

R. Broach

HomeGuru

Re: Insurance claim - water damage from upstairs condo

rebroach said:
HomeGuru,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

The upstairs condo owner owns the leaking pipe, which burst while he was away from the condo. Water drained down into my condo, which is directly beneath his. I am not aware of any fault on the part of the HOA.

R. Broach

**A: thank you for the clarification. The condo owner above you is solely responsible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">