• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

penaltybx6

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? California
My wife's doctor's office was closed and an on call nurse referred her to an urgent care facility. When we got there a staff member said that they take our insurance, and everything seemed okay. However we got a $300.00 bill from urgent care facility. When my wife called the insurance company, which we are no longer with them, they said that the facility was not part of their network. My wife told them that we were referred by our doctor's nurse to this facility and it should be covered. The insurance company told her that they will investigate it.

So far we have been getting the run around from the insurance company and now the urgent care facility has sent us a final bill stating that if we don't pay, it will be sent to collections.

The last time my wife talked to the urgent care facility they said that they didn't find out that they didn't take our insurance until after we visted them.

Do we have any legal rights? What steps can be taken to avoid having to pay this bill?

Thank you for your time

ziphash

My wife works in a hospital. She said they accept any type of ins. But that doesn't mean that the ins "accepts" them. For instance, they might get 10 patients all with Blue Cross. But each of those 10 patients have different groups. Maybe only half of those groups consider that hospital as in-network.

Now we are in a different state, but if a patient asks the secretary if the hospital accepts the ins & is told yes but the hospital ends up being out-of-network it is the responsibility of the patient to pay the bill. This is because it is the patient's responsibility to either know which facilities are in-network or to call the ins co to find out. Sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">