• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laflor16

I have a question I was renting a room to a good friend of mine, he purchased a car and went through Geico. In filling out the questionnaire he put that he was single, however; Geico convinced him to lower his insurance to put me down as a secondary driver and his spouse. First of all I don't drive, don't know how to drive, don't even have a license period, I'm not even married to this person let alone his partner. He had no credit card so in order to pay a lower rate I let them deduct the monthly fee from my credit card as he was giving me the money. Anyway long story short he got into a card accident about 2 years ago his insurance coverage was 25/50 so the other parties atty requested more but Geico having felt that this was a scam GEICO will be paying out the amount the atty is asking for. My understanding if they sign an agreement to the settlement this can not go any further? So Geico called him sometime last week and told him about this and told him that he will probably get served because they want more than what GEICO is going to pay out. He is disabled on SSI my question can I be sued for this being that he is only getting social security disability? Am I liable for this even though I don't drive, don't have a license or even married or have a relationship with this man? Just curious. Thanks.

Just Blue

I have a question I was renting a room to a good friend of mine, he purchased a car and went through Geico. In filling out the questionnaire he put that he was single, however; Geico convinced him to lower his insurance to put me down as a secondary driver and his spouse. First of all I don't drive, don't know how to drive, don't even have a license period, I'm not even married to this person let alone his partner. He had no credit card so in order to pay a lower rate I let them deduct the monthly fee from my credit card as he was giving me the money. Anyway long story short he got into a card accident about 2 years ago his insurance coverage was 25/50 so the other parties atty requested more but Geico having felt that this was a scam GEICO will be paying out the amount the atty is asking for. My understanding if they sign an agreement to the settlement this can not go any further? So Geico called him sometime last week and told him about this and told him that he will probably get served because they want more than what GEICO is going to pay out. He is disabled on SSI my question can I be sued for this being that he is only getting social security disability? Am I liable for this even though I don't drive, don't have a license or even married or have a relationship with this man? Just curious. Thanks.
What state?

adjusterjack

can I be sued for this
Of course you CAN be sued. You ignored the question about your state. In many states you can be held responsible for negligent entrustment or vicarious liability so there's no way to predict the outcome. I hope you were not foolish enough to get listed on his car title.

I also hope GEICO never finds out that you and he lied to get the policy. The consequences of that could be rescission of the policy back to inception and you'll both be out in the cold with no coverage and paying thousands to an attorney to defend you or file bankruptcy.

And, guess what, whoever told you to lie to get a lower rate is either going to be long gone or have convenient amnesia.

laflor16

Of course you CAN be sued. You ignored the question about your state. In many states you can be held responsible for negligent entrustment or vicarious liability so there's no way to predict the outcome. I hope you were not foolish enough to get listed on his car title.

I also hope GEICO never finds out that you and he lied to get the policy. The consequences of that could be rescission of the policy back to inception and you'll both be out in the cold with no coverage and paying thousands to an attorney to defend you or file bankruptcy.

And, guess what, whoever told you to lie to get a lower rate is either going to be long gone or have convenient amnesia.
No we didn't lie the rep @ geico told him this to get a better deal as a matter of fact he had called them to remove me but they insisted on keeping my name because I was paying his insurance via my credit card. And yes I agree instant amnesia, and no I'm not on the title. It was just a favor.

adjusterjack

we didn't lie the rep @ geico
No, he lied to the underwriter by saying you were his spouse when you weren't. A married person pays less for car insurance than an unmarried person. That the insurance cost less because of the lie makes it a "material misrepresentation" that allows an insurance company to rescind the policy back to inception so there would be no coverage for any accident that occurs.

as a matter of fact he had called them to remove me but they insisted on keeping my name because I was paying his insurance via my credit card
Who insisted? The rep?

Do you have any of that in writing?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">