• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance CO. hasn't responded to claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? SC

I only have liability on my vehicle. I was in an accident and other party (was at fault). Since I don't have collision, I got an estimate and filed a claim directly against the other party's insurance, they denied it saying it was my fault. They never sent out an adjuster to look at my car. Their insurance co filed a claim against my insurance company. My insurance co denied their claim. It went into arbitration. Seven months after the acident, Arbitration decided it was 100% the other party's fault. So, I again filed another claim against the other party's insurance co. included was the estimate and copy of decision from arbitration. I gave them 14 business days to respond. So far I have nothing from them and don't think I will.

What is my next step? Can I go to small claims court? Do I take the ins. co or the other driver to small claims court? What is the max. amount of a claim that small claims court handles?

Thanks in advance for help. I really need to get my vehicle fixed.



You have some choices to make. These may not be all-inclusive but they are ones that I would make... it's just my advice :)

1. "Hound" the other insurance company. Call the at-fault driver's insurance company and ask for the adjuster's supervisor's name and then direct the inquiry to him/her via telephone or write a letter and send certified - return receipt requested. 'They' are counting on you just disappearing........ so they won't have to pay out anything. Don't let that happen.

2. Call an attorney who does property damage work.

3. Since you asked about small claims, that might be a good bet too. Look in the phone book for small claims court and call and ask the clerk to guide you through the process.

As far as getting your vehicle fixed. If they won't fix it, you'll have to do it yourself and hopefully get the money back in the future via lawsuit (if the money is large enough to warrant an attorney and this process) or through small claims court (if it is not a large amount of money call the clerk and ask about this process). At any rate, it will take a while for either of these things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential