• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Company Makes Huge Error? HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

matt000008

State of Ohio...

I am an agent for a particular insurance company. About 3 months ago, a client of mine transfered a non-qualified brokerage account into a fixed annuity. The brokerage account was held in an individual ownership with a transfer-on-death agreement. The client signed the application for the new annuity and signed the transfer paperwork. Before the annuity contract was funded/issued, the client died (by 3 days). The annuity application had a named beneficiary, same as the transfer-on-death agreement for the brokerage account. The insurance company went ahead and issued the contract (without knowledge of the client's death because she was not found dead for many days). Upon receiving the death certificate, the insurance company cancelled the annuity contract, saying they could not have an issue date after the client's date of death. Instead of processing the death claim to be paid to the beneficiary on the application, they returned the monies payable to the client's estate. This now is a huge problem, because the monies would have transfered to the named beneficiary if the monies were left in the brokerage account. Now the beneficiary has a check payable to the mother's estate. These assets will now have to go through probate. Can this insurance company legally do this? I understand the insurance company's point that there is no official contract. What I don't understand is why they can't honor the beneficiary of the application. Is this some major loophole that people should be aware of, or is there some legal statue that can be used to correct this insurance company?

pojo2

Are there other beneficiaries? Will there be an Estate Taxes? Has she consulted with an Atty versed in probate/estate matters?

Dandy Don

The insurance company may not necessarily have made an error here--they were only following standard procedure due to the nature of the specific asset, along with some exceptional, unusual circumstances.

So what if the check has to go through probate? That is better than getting nothing at all.

You may want to have the Ohio Insurance Commissioner (find the website on a search engine or by looking in your phone book) look into this matter by filing a complaint so he/she can investigate to determine whether proper procedure was followed.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">