• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Company Slip-Up/Mixed Messages - Bumper Ripped Off By Rebar On Parking Block

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AZWRX

So, I went to an auto store(ending in zone), to purchase a new headlight bulb, and when I went to leave my front bumper was ripped off(on the drivers side) by a piece of rebar protruding a “whopping 1mm” from the parking column. It was night and I just wanted to go home so I went into the store asked if they would comp me some $1 clips since that was mostly what seemed broken. They told me come back tomorrow, only the manager can do that.
I followed through the next day by picking up the ~$6 worth of clips to hold my bumper on. About 1month later I noticed there was more damage, but luckily I had taken pictures of everything the night all this happened. So filed a claim through my insurance(ending in two As) and was told by the agent filing, it would be covered under comprehensive and there is no way I could have seen the rebar at night, it’s the business’ fault, you won’t have to pay a penny.
A week later the handler of the claim(still the same auto insurance company) says it will be a collision and it will be my fault, therefore I have to pay the 500 deductible and take the hit on my insurance record. This doesn’t seem right at all. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Just Blue

So, I went to an auto store(ending in zone), to purchase a new headlight bulb, and when I went to leave my front bumper was ripped off(on the drivers side) by a piece of rebar protruding a “whopping 1mm” from the parking column. It was night and I just wanted to go home so I went into the store asked if they would comp me some $1 clips since that was mostly what seemed broken. They told me come back tomorrow, only the manager can do that.
I followed through the next day by picking up the ~$6 worth of clips to hold my bumper on. About 1month later I noticed there was more damage, but luckily I had taken pictures of everything the night all this happened. So filed a claim through my insurance(ending in two As) and was told by the agent filing, it would be covered under comprehensive and there is no way I could have seen the rebar at night, it’s the business’ fault, you won’t have to pay a penny.
A week later the handler of the claim(still the same auto insurance company) says it will be a collision and it will be my fault, therefore I have to pay the 500 deductible and take the hit on my insurance record. This doesn’t seem right at all. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!
What U.S. State did this happen in?

adjusterjack

A week later the handler of the claim(still the same auto insurance company) says it will be a collision and it will be my fault, therefore I have to pay the 500 deductible and take the hit on my insurance record. This doesn’t seem right at all.
Sorry, it's right.

Read your policy.

"Collision" means the upset of "your covered auto" or a "non-owned auto" or their impact with another vehicle or object.

Loss caused by the following is considered other than "collision":
1. Missiles or falling objects;
2. Fire;
3. Theft or larceny;
4. Explosion or earthquake;
5. Windstorm;
6. Hail, water or flood;
7. Malicious mischief or vandalism;
8. Riot or civil commotion;
9. Contact with bird or animal; or
10. Breakage of glass. If breakage of glass is caused by a "collision", you may elect to have it considered a loss caused by "collision".
What happened to your car is not listed in those 10 items but is an "impact with another ... object."

And is, unfortunately an "at-fault" accident since you are the one who drove too far forward and impacted the concrete barrier. And, in case you are wondering, that the rebar protruded above the concrete doesn't make anybody else negligent.

I recently fixed my friend's plastic bumper cover with those clips. It had been distorted by numerous scrapes with concrete barriers but I managed to get it back into place. A few days later, we go to a restaurant, he pulls into a parking space and I hear the scrape of his bumper against a concrete barrier.

You have to stop before you get to the barrier or this will keep happening.

By the way, an insurance agent is not a claims person, barely knows the names of the policies he sells and is not someone you rely on with a question of what is covered or not. He gave you the wrong information but his error is not something he can be held accountable for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">