• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance company taking advantage of elderly.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slgilmore

Deceased father's insurance policy.

What is the name of your state? Mine, New York. Father lived in New Jersey.

My father was in a nursing home when his life insurance lapsed. I applied for reinstatement, and the reinstatement was denied. The reason the company gave me, was because he was in nursing home. Note: He was in nursing home when he signed up for the insurance policy. Meanwhile, I (the daughter) was taking over the monthly payments and didn't know his premium was raised sometime after I took over the payments.
My father has recently passed and I had to take out a loan in order to pay for the funeral. His policy would have covered the funeral costs. I've had to deal with his insurance company giving me the run around, plus the emotional toll of planning my father's funeral, dealing with his death emotionally and the financial strain.

Do I have a case here?

Last edited:

slgilmore

Different question

In reference to the situation of my late father's insurance policy, are there any steps I can take at this point to get the insurance company to honor his policy? There was a lot of money vested and I'd hate if it was all for nothing. :(

Thanks!

Dandy Don

Did you make any of the premium payments to the company? Your statement seems to be conflicting--how could you "take over the monthly payments" and not know that there was an increase?

Did you ever see any mail in your father's mailbox from this insurance company?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

slgilmore

reply to Dandy Don

Sorry about the confusion.

My dad originally signed up for the insurance and was paying on it himself monthly via his social security check. I didn't know he had taken out a policy until the day came and he could no longer pay on it. He told me he was paying $81/month and gave me the phone number to call the company so I can have the bills mailed to me (in New York) instead. When I received the first bill, it was for $86/month. It was so close to the original amount he told me he was paying, so when I received the first invoice, I didn't realize the amount was different.. I just trusted the invoices were correct. I realized the amounts differed when I received all of his initial insurance paperwork (after his death) and was able to compare the amounts. By that time his insurance was cancelled. (All of his original paperwork was being held by a niece and I had difficulty retrieving it during his stay in the nursing home/hospital.)

I apologize for sounding so confusing, I'm trying to explain it best I could.

Dandy Don

Since the payments were not made, technically there was a lapse, so you may not have much of a case. File a complaint with your state insurance commissioner to see if there is anything he can do to resolve this matter. You should ask for at least a refund of the premiums. What was the face value of the policy--how much was it supposed to pay ou and how much total in premiums had he paid in?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

slgilmore

reply to Dandy Don

Thank you for your quick response.

The face value of the policy was $4,000.00 I'm not sure of the exact amount he paid up in premiums, but it should be in the range of $1200.00 - $1300.00.

Thanks for all your advice, it it much appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">