• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Fine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mtroom

illinois

our landlord had his insurance company come to see the building since part of our chimney fell down in a windstorm. while the adjustor was there, apparently he saw our back porch which is full of stuff because of a home improvement project. the landlord was told that the insurance company will fine him $275 because the clutter on our backporch is "a fire hazard". are insurance companies allowed to do this? now he wants to charge us the $275. as far as i'm concerned, this is his responsibility because he didn't give us a warning and he, as a landlord, should have known about something like this. no one I've talked to so far has ever heard of anything like this happening. i'm now wondering if the landlord is making all this up just to get a little help paying the deductible for his chimney! please help.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mtroom said:
illinois

our landlord had his insurance company come to see the building since part of our chimney fell down in a windstorm. while the adjustor was there, apparently he saw our back porch which is full of stuff because of a home improvement project. the landlord was told that the insurance company will fine him $275 because the clutter on our backporch is "a fire hazard". are insurance companies allowed to do this? now he wants to charge us the $275. as far as i'm concerned, this is his responsibility because he didn't give us a warning and he, as a landlord, should have known about something like this. no one I've talked to so far has ever heard of anything like this happening. i'm now wondering if the landlord is making all this up just to get a little help paying the deductible for his chimney! please help.
My response:

What kind of "help" were you looking for ? Did you have a specific question?

IAAL

Last edited:

ALawyer

Insurance companies can not "fine" policyholders -- only government agencies can impose fines, which are quasi-criminal penalties.

They can raise his rates, however, if the actual risks, including those from hazards, were greater than he represented.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">