• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance for students of softball lessons?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2B17

What is the name of your state? Hawaii
I am looking to start doing private instruction for fast pitch softball. Of course, there is always a chance that someone could get injuried during a lesson. What type of insurance policy could cover liability for this (I would also have a waiver for them to sign before starting lessons)?

Thank you,
Stacie
Custom Creations
Personalizing Life's Sweetest Moments

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

2B17 said:
What is the name of your state? Hawaii
I am looking to start doing private instruction for fast pitch softball. Of course, there is always a chance that someone could get injuried during a lesson. What type of insurance policy could cover liability for this (I would also have a waiver for them to sign before starting lessons)?

Thank you,
Stacie
Custom Creations
My response:

Click on this link. Take a look at the "Waiver" form and "massage" it to specify your planned activities.

http://216.239.33.100/search?q=cache:H_jLulYghJcC:www.50-50.com/absorb/hsa/KSP_Contract.pdf+hawaii+participant+lawsuit&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Aren't "Search Engines" wonderful. You feed them specific words, and presto-chango, out comes a form !

IAAL

2B17

I do plan on doing something like that and have gone to search engines and found a bunch of waivers to look at and "massage" :)....however, on the legal forum boards, someone told me this would not be enough to protect me and that I would need insurance also.....this "do I-don't I" NEED insurance thing is the only thing stopping me from starting this service right now. I just don't want anyone suing me (and having to pay out) for getting injured during a lesson. I know that I can't stop anyone from suing and they may not win if they do decide to try, but you never know what is going to happen and I want to know if there is something I can do to keep from having to pay out big time from my own pocket or losing my house over something like this because the court or judge or whoever does decide I am somehow responsible for an injury and order me to pay.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

2B17 said:
I do plan on doing something like that and have gone to search engines and found a bunch of waivers to look at and "massage" :)....however, on the legal forum boards, someone told me this would not be enough to protect me and that I would need insurance also.....this "do I-don't I" NEED insurance thing is the only thing stopping me from starting this service right now. I just don't want anyone suing me (and having to pay out) for getting injured during a lesson. I know that I can't stop anyone from suing and they may not win if they do decide to try, but you never know what is going to happen and I want to know if there is something I can do to keep from having to pay out big time from my own pocket or losing my house over something like this because the court or judge or whoever does decide I am somehow responsible for an injury and order me to pay.
My response:

Lady Libertine is not an attorney, and for some reason, she believes "waivers" are useless. Well, she's wrong and they're not. For the most part, a good "waiver" will keep most people from suing. Also, there are specific rules and laws regarding someone being injured in participatory sports that "relieve" other players and managers, and owners, from liability. However, that fact isn't going to keep some irate parent from suing. Remember, even though they can't win a lawsuit because "little Bobby" got smashed in the face with a softball, that doesn't mean that you're not going to need insurance to pay an attorney for your defense of the lawsuit.

So yes, you'll need insurance.

IAAL

2B17

Okay, thank you for the explanation...it is along the lines of what I was thinking. So, now, another question that may be silly, but I want to know for sure.....

Does regular commercial/business insurance cover the cost of paying an attorney for my defense? Or is there some other kind of insurance for that?

Thanks again
Stacie
Custom Creations

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

2B17 said:
Okay, thank you for the explanation...it is along the lines of what I was thinking. So, now, another question that may be silly, but I want to know for sure.....

Does regular commercial/business insurance cover the cost of paying an attorney for my defense? Or is there some other kind of insurance for that?

Thanks again
Stacie
Custom Creations
My response:

As long as it's a covered peril under the policy, all insurance policies include defense counsel in the event an insured is sued - - just as long as it's a covered peril. That's a part of the risk, and the insurance company would be on the hook for attorney's fees and costs of such defense.

IAAL

2B17

That's why I asked the first question....I talked to a couple of agents and they both said that injury to a person during instruction of a lesson is not covered by commercial liability insurance - the policies do not cover "participants" - One of the agents told me that there was some kind of insurance policy for that, but they would need to research, they have not gotten back to me yet, so I thought I might ask here......therefore, back to question #1 - what type of insurance do I need?

2B17

No problem. I am going to look for some insurance site to ask at.....thanks though
Stacie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">