• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance fraud???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lynne331

Pennsylvania.
My husband has two children and shares 50/50 custody with his ex. After their divorce, she arranged for health insurance through the state-sponsored program "CHiPs" -- a free or low cost insurance policy for children. Two of the eligibility requirements are they must not be covered by any other insurance and the family income cannot be over a certain amount. My husband and I have been married for two years and I added him and his two children to my employer sponsored insurance policy 6 months ago because we were concerned about how his ex was able to "meet" the eligibility requirements as far as income goes. He does not know how she signed up the children nor did he see or sign any papers. In the case of divorce and shared custody (there is no child support involved), what does the insurance company use as guidelines for "family income"? We suspect she told the insurance company about only her income to qualify for the free program. In truth, with my husband's and her income combined, they don't qualify, so I think this is fraud. Are we within our rights to call the insurance company and report this situation? What are the consequences to her if it is considered fraud on her part? Thanks in advance for any advice.

T

toasted

She may have used just her income. Usually they want the income of the custodial parent, I assume is her.

You should contact an insurance attorney and ask. I doubt she did it to *just qualify*.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">