• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

insurance fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pocahontas13

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY

My father passed away last week. While going through his papers I found an insurance policy with my mother and myself as beneficiaries. My mother passed away in April of 2002 so I would now be the sole beneficiary. I called the insurance company and they told me the policy was cashed in August of 2002. They said my brother had tried to cash it in with a POA that was not in good order. This POA was obtained fraudulently anyway. They said my brother called back 2 months later to ask how to do a full surrender. They received the full surrender form back with my father's supposed signature on it. This was a Medallion Signature Guarantee. My father had been in an alzheimer's unit since January of 2002. He was diagnosed with dementia in April of 1998. Obviously my father was incapable of making any decisions at this time. My brother is a real scam artist, but this one really shocked me.
He deposited the check into his account (I have records because the account was in my father's name because my brother doesn't pay income tax and therefore doesn't have anything in his name.
I have another brother who I am on very good terms with. Neither of us want anything to do with him after things are settled. What type of law did he break? What should my course of action be?

JETX

Pocahontas13 said:
What type of law did he break?
Based solely on your post, it appears that he may have broken several laws, including forgery, fraud, etc.

What should my course of action be?
Call the local police department and file a criminal complaint.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">