• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

babycakes

What is the name of your state?Ca

My mother-in-law had an insurance policy and my husband was the beneficiary. My husband died before his mother and my father-in-law cashed it in. How do I find out who was on the insurance policy?

sturgbe

If I understand you correctly, your Mother-in law was the owner of a life insurance policy with her son as the beneficiary?

Her son (your husband) died and then she cashed the policy in?

If this is in fact the case, you have no legal right to any information on the policy. ONLY the owner(s) are entitled to policy information.

FYI:

Who was the owner(s)?
Who was the insured?
Who was named as pri**** beneficiary and contingent?
(actually, the beneficiary information is irrelevant if the insured is still living and the owner cashed the policy in. Beneficiaries only come into play if the insured dies. The owner can cash the policy in whenever they feel like it before the named insured dies).

stu

S

shell007

babycakes said:
What is the name of your state?Ca

My mother-in-law had an insurance policy and my husband was the beneficiary. My husband died before his mother and my father-in-law cashed it in. How do I find out who was on the insurance policy?
I am reading this post completely opposite than Sturgbe. Here is how I am understanding it.

*Mom had (her own) life insurance policy.
*Her son was the beneficiary on that policy if mom died.
*The son died first.
*Then mom died.
*Wife of (the son) wants to know if she has any claim to (mom's) life insurance policy since her husband was at one time the beneficiary.

Now, she is wondering... since her father-in-law cashed in the policy...How can she now find out the info to see if she had any rights to this $$$ being the widowed wife of the son who was the beneficiary.

OP: Let us know the exact scenario. You post is a little confusing! :)

babycakes

Thank You, so much for your response. Shellandty is correct. My mother had a life insurance policy in her name. Her son ( my husband was the beneficiary on her policy). My husband died 7 weeks unexpectedly before his mother passed away from cancer. My father-in-law tried to sell my husband's stock by saying he was my husband, 12 hours after my husbands death (now you know what kind of person I'm dealing with). My question is how do I find out who all the beneficiaries are on this policy and do I have any legal rights.

justalayman

If your husband died first then a contingent or second beneficiary would be the recipient of the funds. As long as it wasn't you or your children you have no right to know more.

If you know who issued the policy you might want to contact them and explain your situation. They want to pay to the correct beneficiary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">