• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Lapse???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Help Daughter

Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Mississippi

My dad has carried a ton of life insurance for 28 years. He has his premiums set up on automatic deduction from his checking account. He recently changed banks but the insurance company kept trying to deduct the payment from the wrong account so his policy lapsed. It lapsed a week before he died. He had been trying to get the insurance company to fix it but they didnt. What can I do?

Some Random Guy

Senior Member
Get a lawyer - right away.

if it is really a ton of insurnace, the insurer will not want to pay, even if the lapse is due to their own incompetence. plus, how long ago did he die? Have the premiums for that time frame been paid, even after his death.


Junior Member
The insurance companies have this thing where you need to fill out another EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer) form and attach it with a voided check and fax back to them before they'll change the bank accounts. It's a pita.

He's right, you need to get an attorney ASAP. If you don't have money, some attorney may give you a free consultation and take the case and have you pay them out of the proceeds of the money that they collect.

If you can, you need to write down when and how many times he called to the customer service department to get it changed. Any other details you remember, like who he spoke to, etc. That's going to help your case.

If it lapse ONLY a week, you may be able to dispute it. I think you get 30 days or so to reinstate your policy if you let it lapse. Not sure about that particular state.

Dandy Don

Senior Member
An business law attorney who has experience in fighting insurance cases will be the best option for you, but if you can't find one, you may also want to consider contacting the Mississippi State Insurance Commissioner and filing a complaint with him so that it can be investigated on your behalf. You should be able to find his website or a phone number in the phone directory for him.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential