• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

insurance letter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

ldt511

What is the name of your state? Alabama
my son was involved in mailbox bashing and caught. the boys paid for the boxes through the juvenile court so there would be no charges. last week we received a letter from state farm insurance saying someone had filed on their homeowner policy for $3,000 in damages and they expected us to pay it back to state farm within 30 days. first ofall, the letter had no date or time of the occurence, no refernce points at all. there was no listing of damages claimed, how they came up with the fact that my son was liable (except that it was his vehicle they were in). there was no documentation,no proof of anything! how do we respond to this? if for some reason, the individual has not been reimbursed through the court for their mailbox we certainly want them to receive the funds but not $3,000 in damages. it's absolutely ridiculous where they could have come up with that amount. we do not know if we should hire an attorney. we have 30 days to dispute the claim but are not sure what legal rights we have.

HomeGuru

ldt511 said:
What is the name of your state? Alabama
my son was involved in mailbox bashing and caught. the boys paid for the boxes through the juvenile court so there would be no charges. last week we received a letter from state farm insurance saying someone had filed on their homeowner policy for $3,000 in damages and they expected us to pay it back to state farm within 30 days. first ofall, the letter had no date or time of the occurence, no refernce points at all. there was no listing of damages claimed, how they came up with the fact that my son was liable (except that it was his vehicle they were in). there was no documentation,no proof of anything! how do we respond to this? if for some reason, the individual has not been reimbursed through the court for their mailbox we certainly want them to receive the funds but not $3,000 in damages. it's absolutely ridiculous where they could have come up with that amount. we do not know if we should hire an attorney. we have 30 days to dispute the claim but are not sure what legal rights we have.
**A: yes, hire a big attorney to whip your son in shape. Did you know that there could have been Federal fines?

ALawyer

Just because the insurance company demands money does not obligate you to pay.

If the insurer paid a loss, they have subrogation rights and are able to civilly go after the person who caused the loss to their insured.

Getting some paid professional advice from a lawyer is a lot less expensive than the $3000 they are demanding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">