• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance on child, court ordered

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GemmyGems

We are in SC...my fiance was ordered to have health insurance on his 6 year old son. This was ordered in the divorce decree. While waiting on the divorce, his ex put the child on Medicaid. Now that he is enrolled on my fiance's policy...his ex is refusing to take the child off Medicaid. There is a small co pay on the insurance and to her this is unacceptable. There is no pleasing this woman. Can the child be on Medicaid even tho he now has full insurance coverage?? And if she continues and it's illegal, who can we call to report it? Thanks in advance

ALawyer

What's the complaint -- that he's spending money you don't want to or the kid is getting inadequate care?

If the latter, that's cause for concern and HE should offer to pay the deductible.

If the former, it sounds as if you are being vindictive.... He and his ex should try to work something out -- like split the premium. ANd get advice from his divorce lawyer.

G

GemmyGems

There is no complaint and not being vindictive. I asked a simple question. The woman will not get a job and support her child...so there is no sharing the premium. Money is not a problem or issue and I have NO problems with him supporting his child. I love him just like I love my 2 kids. He now has full insurance coverage, it's a darn good plan. But to understand the mother....she doesn't want something unless it's free. I merely wanted to know if the child could be on my fiance's insurance policy...AND Medicaid?!? How simple is that?

ALawyer

The state of South Carolina may get annoyed that she is using its state funds for health care for the child when it is available at no cost to the state from privately purchased insurance. But you seem far more annoyed that his ex is a lazy moocher and that your fiance's money is used for health insurance than concerned that your taxes are being used to pay for the kid's healthcare. And that suggests you are being vindictive, and that's corrosive; it ain't healthy.

LegalBeagle

GemmyGems said:
We are in SC...my fiance was ordered to have health insurance on his 6 year old son. This was ordered in the divorce decree. While waiting on the divorce, his ex put the child on Medicaid. Now that he is enrolled on my fiance's policy...his ex is refusing to take the child off Medicaid. There is a small co pay on the insurance and to her this is unacceptable. There is no pleasing this woman. Can the child be on Medicaid even tho he now has full insurance coverage?? And if she continues and it's illegal, who can we call to report it? Thanks in advance
You do not have to do anything unless you want to destory her. As long as he is following any court orders and paying for the insurance and CS then that is all that should matter to you. If and when they find out, she will be fully responsible.

All I would suggest is sending a certified letter to her giving her the full details of the insurance etc.. This would be to protect your husband if the state ever comes after him for re-payment.

Do not stop the insurance.. otherwise the state will screw you ..

S

s_hill1

Your husband's insurance is primary. Any state coverage will always be secondary to other coverage and, perhaps, will cover whatever piddly remaining amount may due in copayment to your husband's coverage on their son (usually no more than $5-20). Rather than focus your concerns on whether or not she's trying to pull a fast one or is acting out on some unusual obsession to get everything for free, just make sure your husband's compliance with the court order to provide coverage is formally noted by the DA and the court and, as for the rest of it, MYOB. Keep in mind who is most harmed by troubles brought upon this woman, his mom. If you truly care for this little boy, leave well enough alone, for his sake. It may be one of the few breaks he gets in already tumultuous times.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">