• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Overpayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dd4525

What is the name of your state?MICHIGAN

I received a call from my insurance (auto-house) the other day saying that over 5 years ago they paid me 500 when they werent supposed to for a claim. They are asking for recoupment of that amount

this was over 5 years ago and i barely remember the ordeal. do they have a legal right to ask for that money back especially given the time factor?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dd4525 said:
What is the name of your state?MICHIGAN

I received a call from my insurance (auto-house) the other day saying that over 5 years ago they paid me 500 when they werent supposed to for a claim. They are asking for recoupment of that amount

this was over 5 years ago and i barely remember the ordeal. do they have a legal right to ask for that money back especially given the time factor?

My response:

Your insurance policy and application for insurance add up to a written contract. Michigan has a 6 year Statute of Limitations on written contracts.

So, it sounds to me like the insurance company is making one, final request of you for reimbursement because they're gearing up for a Small Claims lawsuit.

Good luck.

IAAL

D

dd4525

doesnt seem fair

Well that just doesnt seem fair. They sent me the check and this is the first time they have said anything about it being sent in error. I can understand a month or two after they sent it but 5 years..
thank you for the help.. my husband will be real happy to hear this one..

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: doesnt seem fair

dd4525 said:
Well that just doesnt seem fair. They sent me the check and this is the first time they have said anything about it being sent in error. I can understand a month or two after they sent it but 5 years..
thank you for the help.. my husband will be real happy to hear this one..

My response:

However, I never said that your husband DOESN'T have a viable "defense" to such a lawsuit. Your post, and your subsequent response to me, indicate a "hint" to that potential defense.

It's called "Laches" - pronounced "latch-ease" - this defense is potentially viable despite the fact that the insurance company is still within the Statute of Limitations. Even if the statute of limitations has not yet run, unreasonable delay in commencing suit may bar injunctive or other equitable relief if defendant has been prejudiced by the delay (e.g., through loss of evidence): "It is not so much a question of the lapse of time as it is to determine whether prejudice has resulted.

Thus, relief may be denied if it is shown that the moving party has been guilty of unreasonable delay in seeking relief, causing prejudice to the opposing party. [McCreadie v. Arques (1967) 248 Cal.App.2d 39, 46-47, 56 Cal.Rptr. 188, 194--plaintiff would be prejudiced by having to prove matters 5 years old if judgment set aside] The greater the prejudice to the responding party, the more likely it is that the court will determine that equitable defenses such as laches or estoppel apply to the request to vacate a valid judgment.

IAAL

Last edited:

JETX

And with that, your choices:
1) Recognize that they overpaid you $500 as they claim and repay them. (I find it interesting that you haven't disputed their claim in your posts), or
2) Wait for them to sue you (or cancel your insurance), or
3) Hire an attorney for far more than the $500 in question, to argue the theory of laches in this case. Even though I don't see how the 'delay' could have prejudiced your defense.... either you got the check or not (and they can prove by endorsement) or it was in error (which again they can show by their records).

Last edited:
D

dd4525

I didnt dispute their claim because I did receive a check around the time frame they are talking about.. I didnt know what the check was for or if we had overpaid our deductible or insurance.. it was just a check with no explanation. I cashed it without question and continued on until now. We cancelled that policy once and just recently went back to them.

If we were paid in error then that is fine I just have an issue with the time lapse that is all.. we have been their customers for almost this whole time with only a few months we switched to someone else several years back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">