• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance policy clause -- car appraisers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sandie

Okay...the saga continues...

I was rear ended almost 2 weeks ago. The insurance company for the kid who rear ended me assumed liability the following day and gave me a rental car. The offered me a ridiculously low settlement for the car (which was totaled). $2020 for a car I would need at least $4000 to replace and had bought for $4700 8 months ago. I went to my insurance company and they offered me $2650 on Friday. I said no and that I was going to speak to my lawyer about suing. Of course he didn't care because it is the other company I would wind up suing. The other insurance company has now cut off my rental as of this afternoon...I didn't get the message until it was too late to return it until tomorrow and I will need to arrange my own as I am without transportation.

The adjuster from my insurance company left a message on machine that his manager said I have a clause in my policy allowing for arbitration in which they hire an appraiser and I hire an appraiser and if the two can't agree on an amount to total my car then a third is hired jointly (costs I assume) and that decision would then be binding.

I have talked to a lawyer who was supposed to get back to me today but didn't. He is interested in the personal injury aspect of my case (had my first physical therapy session and the therapist says it'll be at least a month or two of therapy before he'll know how much I'm going to need). Anyway, the lawyer had mentioned the possibility of a civil statute under which I might sue regarding the property damage but when I called to ask him about that he said he'd have to think about it and he'd call me at the latest this afternoon. He didn't.

I feel like calling my insurance company in the morning and accepting the offer they made last Friday for the $2650 and just eating that loss of $1000 to $2000. This is just so ridiculous. If you're a little person without a lot of money and your case is small no one will help you and the insurance companies know this. I did go out and obtain printouts and notes from several dealers attesting to replacement value for a vehicle similar to mine to be in the 3900 - 5000 range, I cut out ads from the paper showing this and I have the Kelley Blue Book and NADA printouts too...all showing $4000 or so for my car even with it's higher than average mileage.

I've asked it before...is there ANYONE who has ever won or gotten the insurance companies to budge?

And what am I in for when the medical bills start going to them for payment....are they going to get me there, too? And what about my personal injury claim...are they going to deny or offer me peanuts...this is SO ridiculous....

J

Judy T

There is someone that is willing to fight for the little guy and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. It is PRE-PAID LEGAL SERVICES. This is quality legal help at affordable prices. The reason that high quality help is available for such a low price is because members are pooling their money together to compensate the law firms. These lawyers are highly motivated to provide quality service. The fee varies by state. $25. or less per month. Check out the coverage that you get for this small fee at: http://www.prepaidlegal.com/go/judythomas
Direct any questions to: [email protected]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sandie:
Okay...the saga continues...

I was rear ended almost 2 weeks ago. The insurance company for the kid who rear ended me assumed liability the following day and gave me a rental car. The offered me a ridiculously low settlement for the car (which was totaled). $2020 for a car I would need at least $4000 to replace and had bought for $4700 8 months ago. I went to my insurance company and they offered me $2650 on Friday. I said no and that I was going to speak to my lawyer about suing. Of course he didn't care because it is the other company I would wind up suing. The other insurance company has now cut off my rental as of this afternoon...I didn't get the message until it was too late to return it until tomorrow and I will need to arrange my own as I am without transportation.

The adjuster from my insurance company left a message on machine that his manager said I have a clause in my policy allowing for arbitration in which they hire an appraiser and I hire an appraiser and if the two can't agree on an amount to total my car then a third is hired jointly (costs I assume) and that decision would then be binding.

I have talked to a lawyer who was supposed to get back to me today but didn't. He is interested in the personal injury aspect of my case (had my first physical therapy session and the therapist says it'll be at least a month or two of therapy before he'll know how much I'm going to need). Anyway, the lawyer had mentioned the possibility of a civil statute under which I might sue regarding the property damage but when I called to ask him about that he said he'd have to think about it and he'd call me at the latest this afternoon. He didn't.

I feel like calling my insurance company in the morning and accepting the offer they made last Friday for the $2650 and just eating that loss of $1000 to $2000. This is just so ridiculous. If you're a little person without a lot of money and your case is small no one will help you and the insurance companies know this. I did go out and obtain printouts and notes from several dealers attesting to replacement value for a vehicle similar to mine to be in the 3900 - 5000 range, I cut out ads from the paper showing this and I have the Kelley Blue Book and NADA printouts too...all showing $4000 or so for my car even with it's higher than average mileage.

I've asked it before...is there ANYONE who has ever won or gotten the insurance companies to budge?

And what am I in for when the medical bills start going to them for payment....are they going to get me there, too? And what about my personal injury claim...are they going to deny or offer me peanuts...this is SO ridiculous....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

K

KMellon

Hi
I know the pain you are in mentally an physically. I had a car that could not be replaced for what they were offering me. I checked around and this is what I found out, they can be made to bring you the exact same model and make of car for replacement, and since yours was new to you, you might make them do this. I was offered $1609 for mine and got them up to $2,000 plus $240 for what I had in the trunk, and another $300 or so to the place storing it. And they did not pay me yet for a rental but I will get it in my suit. After all it was my agreement that they do all this because they were presuring me on the storage fees. A button they could push..they would not be responsible past a certain date. But my cousin got a car in place of his of the same value so I know it can be done. Mine was a 1985 and I wanted to at least move up a decade since he made me have to. So I wanted what the prices were, $4,500 and i would add to it. But you see we had to meet in between. And they kept telling me when I recovered my injury cost, I would be compensated enough for that. Anyway its been over a year and were on our way to court some day in the future, cause they did not pay anything they promised to. And they kept saying they wanted to settle in a lump sum. So far I am the only one and my family and daughter in law taking the lumps!! Ha Ha. At least I can find some humor in such a terrible situation we have been put in. I was appauled that my insurance would not even help us because it was his fault. And we have been banging our heads, writing our congressmen, and as of yesterday the President and First Lady. I see reform is needed to get help where needed as soon as possible. My daughter in law has been denied much needed healthcare due to this wreck and I am not happy about all the suffering that has been unnessary they have put us through. I have been told they want you to go bankrupt, crash under the pressure, and hope you will decide its just not worth it. Unfortunately for them I was not raised this way, the madder they make me the more I want to start my own lobbying effort to get the reform needed and the little guys money talking again. After all if it were not for the little guy, those guys would not be able to eat, have clean houses, childcare, clean clothes, dinners fixed for them, and be able to even do their jobs. Its about time those big wigs found out who they are all trying to mess up, and start waiting on their own selves and seeing how bad they are as bosses!!!! Sorry but it makes me mad that we can not get what we need just to live and get well in America.

D

Down To Earth

Nice Sales pitch Judie T. I have check out the pre paid legal plan and it is one of the worst legal insurance plans I have seen. However, what a tenacious sales force they have. I been hassled by several of your sales team.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">