• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rbw80

I'm actually a Canadian and I can't seem to find any forums to help so I'm hoping to get a few opinions from here.

In 2006 I received an insurance policy valued at $100,000. I was not the heir to the estate but was listed as the beneficiary of the policy. My step mother was the heir to the estate. When she tried to claim the policy the insurance company would not speak to her and asked for me. It was then I learned I was the beneficiary to the policy. Since that time my step mother and I have drift apart.... blah blah blah

Today I received a letter from an adjuster to the insurance company stating that the money was paid to me in error, that it should have been paid to my step mother and that they are look to claim the full amount.

Is this possible??? The money is now tied up in my home, all of it. Can they force me to sell my home???

I know the laws might be slightly different but any opinions are appreciated.

Dandy Don

You need to consult a Canadian business law attorney or probate attorney to see what Canadian law says about this. Do not pay back the money unless your attorney advises you to. If I were you I would be asking that insurance company for more specific details on exactly what ERROR occurred. If you were specifically named as beneficiary it's hard to see how anyone else could qualify to be paid.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">