• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cynthiac0401

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california
In Jan this year my ex-husband died of a fatal disease. Before he passed away he sat our 3 daughters down and explained to them that he had an insurance policy that will divide $100,000.00 between them. The benefactor for the policy is his brother Mark. Mark knew that he was supposed make sure the girls got their money. However, because my x did not have a will his wife hired an attorney and is going to take half. Mark has recently received the other half of the money and has decided to keep it to buy a house. Is there any thing the girls can do??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

anteater

However, because my x did not have a will his wife hired an attorney and is going to take half.
I don't know California law on this. But I suspect that the wife's claim was grounded in an argument that the premiums were paid with community funds. Rather than the lack of a will.

In any event, I don't see that your daughters would have a claim based simply upon oral promises to the daughters and what the named beneficiary supposedly "knew." Mark may be a skunk, but he was named as the beneficiary.

You and/or your daughters might see if you can get a short, free consult with a few attorneys - probably with experience in estate or family law - to see if there is any way your daughters might press a claim. But I would not be optimistic.

Last edited:

Betty

Agree; unless the daughters were named as actual beneficiaries in the policy, they are out of luck (no matter what your ex-husband told them).

Sorry. (You/your daughters can certainly talk to an attorney but if the facts are as stated, it's doubtful they are entitled to anything.)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">