• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

insurance problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

atari119

i live in georgia and i had a problem with my insurance company about a year ago after i wrecked my car--- they were only offering me half the payoff when i had full coverage insurance- i disputed and they sold the car without me signing the power-of- attourney or telling me - now the bank they only paid off half the loan to is trying to sue me -- please help- can the insurance company legally only payoff half of the loan without my signature or knowledge without being held accountable

ALawyer

I would suggest that you add the insurance company in as a "third party defendant" to the bank's action. Also, complain to the GA state insurance commissioner.

Something sounds wierd, but I don't know what forms, if any you signed. If the company declred the car a total loss, your state may allow them to take title.

A

atari119

i never signed any papers releasing the car and i actually fought
for quite somw time with the insurance company about how little of the car they were paying off -- i called the insurance co. today and they are saying that they had to have a signature--i'm waiting to hear back from one of their people-- and another thing that i remembered was they tried to say i wasn't insured when the wreck happened soooo ---- it's all really confusing and fishy sounding i really need some one to help me figure it all out

D

Donna32669

Insurance Problem

You don't mention if your policy was cancelled or not, was it in force at the time of your accident ? I ask this because there is a clause that may have protected the lienholder a few days after your insurance cancelled, which may be how they settled this without your consent. Also, I am curious...what year was your car and were you "upside down" on it? I would suggest you check the NADA and Kelley Blue Book, both available on line, and see what value they indicate your vehicle was worth. If there is a difference this will give you some documentation to provide to the state insurance office, if you report this. Remember too, an auto policy is not like a homeowner policy....the auto policy states that it will pay ACV (Actual Cash Value, the depreciated value) of the vehicle insured. So, if you paid too much for it, and didn't put much down, or it was relatively new, then there is a good chance that you will end up owing on it. Make sure that you were refunded any pro rated (unused time) on the warranty costs if it was new....I speak of this part from personal experience. My husband totaled a new p/u years ago and we were refunded over $700 in warranty cost that was not used (the bank paid Toyota in full for the warranty when the truck was financed. It's just like an insurance policy too so it could have some unearned portion due to you). Good luck, and do the research on this, you can win it if in fact they have made a bad call in the settlement. (Oh, don't forget to consider your deductible too when figuring the payoff vs what you were given for your car).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">