• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

insurance probs with pregnancy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TJ1955

I am sorry this will be lengthy but there is no other way to try and tell you what we are dealing with unless I try to explain in detail ........I will try to do it in as short a way as possible but to be honest I am at my wits end.....no one can seem to help me answer any questions.
My daughter was 17 when she became pregnant but she did not receive any medical treatment until after she turned 18. She was not living at home when she spoke with someone who SUPPOSEDLY took care of signing her up for medicaid. Whoever she spoke with asked tons of questions and made her and appt here at a local hospital for her first checkup. When she went for the appt. she filled out more paperwork and was told she was Medicaid Pending in their computer. But they said they would go ahead and examine her and do all types of testing etc. Then they made her another appt. to be seen in six weeks.
About two weeks later she received a bill from the hospital for over $500 and after her second appt. she received yet another for over $200. We called about it and all they can tell us is that she is Medicaid Pending and there is no gurarantee that she qualifies. The bills are stating that she has no government aid.
She then went to the Medicaid Office to find out what was going on where she spent over six hours trying to fill out what they said were the required forms. The woman in charge had a very nasty disposition and told my daughter that my husband and I were legally responsible for her bills until she was 22. She got NOWHERE that day so they sent her home with extra forms and she went back the next day to the same office where this time they handed her a purple sheet of paper and told her to fill it all in and then mail it in and someone would contact her.
She wanted to move back home so we let her. We are not happy with the situration but feel it is better than her living on the streets.
When she came home we called our insurance company who told us that she would be covered for the pregnancy but the baby would not be unless we adopted it.
Then we were told that the prior bills could be sent to them. They told me to give the hospital the information they needed and when we tried to do that the hospital refused our information stating they didnt think that our insurance company would cover it! We made two attempts to take care of it
I was told that legally no one could speak to me about my daughters situation because she was no longer a minor. They would only speak to me if she said it was ok.
I was told because we have allowed her to come home after the baby is born she may not be able to be approved for Medicaid to cover the baby because she is living with us! They said technically she is receiving assistance from us and that they may not approve it for her baby after it is born. we might make to much money or there could be lots of other reasons is what I was told.
I asked them how that could be when legally I am NOT responsible for her and the baby wont belong to me and they said thats just the way it is. If my husband and I make enough money then it will be our problem!
Please tell me what we can do to make sure that the baby has medical coverage when it is born. We live in the Florida and at this point I am very frustrated. My daughter is not in a position to support herself at all. The father of the baby doesnt have a job either. I am willing to give my daughter and the baby a place to stay until she can mature and get on her feet but what other options to we have. We do not have medical insurance for a baby. The best jobs she has been able to find are part time and there are no benefits. Please help. The baby is due in April.

B

bellestar

WELL SHE IS GOING TO HAVE TO WORK 2 PART TIME JOBS IF NEEDED HAVE THE FATHER GET ANOTHER JOB. THE STATE IS NOW VERY TOUGH. AS FOR THE MEDICAL INSURANCE. SHE SHOULD SPEAK WITH A SUPERVISOR AT THE STATE OFFICE CUZ NOONE IS GETTING NOWHERE WITH HER. AND IF THEY DENIE HER. (WHICH IS NOT LIKELY) ALL CHILDREN NEED MEDICAL. HAVE HER LOOK INTO THE HUSKY PLAN. THEY ALSO HAVE FREE CLINICS. BUT YOUR BEST BET IS TO CALL THE HUSKY INSURANCE PLAN. THEY GO BY YOUR INCOME AND IF ITS TO MUCH INCOME FOR HER TO BE COVERED EXPLAIN TO THEM THE NEED FOR IT WHEN THE BABY IS BORN. CUZ YOUR INSURANCE WONT COVER IT. BUT THE STATE SHOULD REALLY BE A LAST RESORT.

A

Always searching

Relax, breathe, gosh the solution is so easy that you will go, "why didn't I think of that?"

You daughter is covered by insurance. That will be the majority of the cost involved anyway. After the baby is born,and she is an adult and over 18, she can then qualify for aid for dependent children. This will qualify for health benefits for the baby. Any health concerns or bills will be covered for the three months prior to certification. You may have to find a doctor that takes medicade pending cases, but there are many of them out there. You daughter needs to start writing you checks for rent for her staying with you to establish that she rents a room from you. Her own electric bill would be nice too. It is ok for her to rent from you because she is an adult.

If the baby has problems in the hospital, there are social workers there. Just ask. There isn't a plaque on the wall notifying the public that there is one there, but there is.

No one said anyone is finished raising children when they turn 18. We had 6 and even though the last one is still at home, each and every one has come back with some crisis or another. You are to be commended for taking her home. Not all parents do and it causes a cycle of misery and sadness. I hope that she gets her life together for her sake and the baby. You will enjoy the grandbaby and all I can tell you is get ready for stage two of child rearing.

T

TJ1955

DEAR ALWAYS SEARCHING,
THANKS FOR YOUR KIND REPLY. I HAVE BEEN SO WORRIED. ARE YOU SUGGESTING THAT WE CHARGE MY DAUGHTER RENT TO ESTABLISH THE FACT THAT WE ARENT SUPPORTING HER? DOES THIS HELP IN SOME WAY? SHE HAS JUST QUIT HER JOB SO SHE DOESNT EVEN HAVE AN INCOME.
WE LOVE HER AND WANT TO HELP HER. BUT WE HAVE TRIED TO TEACH HER THAT LIFE ISNT ALWAYS FAIR AND YOU HAVE TO WORK HARD TO GET AHEAD. SHE IS YOUNG AND IF WE CAN JUST GET HER GOING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION MAYBE THINGS WILL WORK OUT. IT IS SO HARD NOT TO GIVE UP SOMETIMES BUT WE KNOW AS PARENTS WE NEED TO BE THERE FOR OUR KIDS. THANKS FOR YOUR ENCOURAGING WORDS.
TJ

C

cat2young

Yes in Fl if she is paying you rent then you are not comletely supporting her and she should have no trouble getting medicaid for the baby. DCF also has many good programs now that will help her get on her feet ie. job trainng child care ect. When she does get on her feet more there is also a program called kidcare in Fl it will cover the childs med services and is based on income the most she would have to pay is 15.00 per month. Good Luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">