• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

insurance question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

meskate

What is the name of your state? ohio I Had an accident walking my dogs and broke my collarbone. this happened june 1st of 2001. i had insurance at the time which covered a portion of my medical bills. i was under a doctors care for about 3 months and after the 3 months all was assumed that i was totally healed from the fracture so i was no longer under any doctors care. on march 1st 2002 we switched to a different insurance carrier cause our previous insurance was going way up on their premiums. on may 1st 2002 i started having a lot of pain again in my collarbone-shoulder area so i went to see the orthopedic doctor again and come to find out my collarbone never healed back together. so he advised to have surgery done- which i had done on may 31 this year.-which they put screws and a plate in my collarbone. with all my bills its going to come up to be around 8-9 thousand dollars. it sounds as if my insurance company is not going to pay for anything because they are going to call it a previous existing condition. i don't consider it being that because i was not under any doctors care at all and everyone said that i was totally healed. if you can please help me out, cause my bills will be comming in soon and its nearly impossible to get anyone to talk to at my insurance company to get a straight answer. thanks, sheri.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is very, very important to the answer.

1.) Was your old insurance company a group plan through your employer or an individual plan that you bought yourself? What about your current plan?

2.) Was there any gap in coverage between the two plans? If so, was it over or under 62 days?

Your question cannot be answered without this information.

M

meskate

meskate said:
What is the name of your state? ohio I Had an accident walking my dogs and broke my collarbone. this happened june 1st of 2001. i had insurance at the time which covered a portion of my medical bills. i was under a doctors care for about 3 months and after the 3 months all was assumed that i was totally healed from the fracture so i was no longer under any doctors care. on march 1st 2002 we switched to a different insurance carrier cause our previous insurance was going way up on their premiums. on may 1st 2002 i started having a lot of pain again in my collarbone-shoulder area so i went to see the orthopedic doctor again and come to find out my collarbone never healed back together. so he advised to have surgery done- which i had done on may 31 this year.-which they put screws and a plate in my collarbone. with all my bills its going to come up to be around 8-9 thousand dollars. it sounds as if my insurance company is not going to pay for anything because they are going to call it a previous existing condition. i don't consider it being that because i was not under any doctors care at all and everyone said that i was totally healed. if you can please help me out, cause my bills will be comming in soon and its nearly impossible to get anyone to talk to at my insurance company to get a straight answer. thanks, sheri.

M

meskate

Re: Re: insurance question

meskate said:
i am self employed so our insurance was a plan bought by ourself and so is our new insurance. we had no gap in between insurance coverage, our old insurance ended march 1 of 2002 and new began march 1 of 2002.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm sorry to harp on this but it is vital. In some states, a self-employed individual can still buy a group policy, with one member in the group. Is this what you did, or is it an individual policy. In your situation, the semantics is incredibly important. I have to know if it was an individual or a group policy.

M

meskate

hi CBG. not sure if this will help ya out. our insurance company is basically for small business owners, all across the usa. a lot of small businesses belong to it. our business is small, just my husband and i and another couple. we all use the same insurance company. im not sure if this answers your question if this is a group insurance or individual. if ya have any more questions please feel free to ask me more. thanks so much! sheri

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, I know the kind of policy you mean and to be honest, I'm not sure which way it falls, either. My experience with that kind of policy was twenty years ago and a lot of insurance law has changed in that time; when I dealt with that kind of policy in the early 80's it was brand new. I THINK it counts as a group policy but I'm not positive.

Here's why I'm asking. If it was a group policy, then since you did not have any gap in coverage they CANNOT call any condition pre-existing. NO pre-ex. None. Nada. Zip. Can't be done. Illegal. This counts as long as EITHER the old or the new plan was a group plan. Group to group, individual to group, or group to individual are all protected. This is under a Federal Law abbrieviated as HIPAA. HIPAA does allow for pre-ex conditions in some circumstances but not under the ones you've outlined - as long as you are or were in a group policy.

If it was an individual policy to an individual policy, however, then HIPAA does not come into play and an insurance carrier can (but does not have to - not all of them do) consider a condition pre-existing. Your state may have limitations on how long a look-back period there is and how long a condition may be considered pre-ex.

Has your new insurance carrier actually denied coverage, or have they simply asked for information to determine if pre-ex exists? It's not unusual, even in a group plan, to do some investigation to find out whether a condition is pre-existing. As I said, even under HIPAA pre-ex IS permitted in some cases.

Here are a couple of things you can do. First, call the old insurance carrier and ask whether or not your policy was considered group or individual. If they say group, ask them to send you a HIPAA certificate. They are required to do this by law. The HIPAA certificate, if you can get one, will be all that you need; send it to your new insurance carrier and all pre-ex problems will go away as long as you had coverage for a full 12 months or more. If you had it for less than 12 months, the pre-ex period must, by law, be reduced by the amount of coverage you had. For example, if you had eight months coverage, then they can only consider a condition pre-ex for four months. The length of your old coverage and the length of the pre-ex cannot add up to more than 12 months.

If your old policy was individual, ask your new carrier the same question. If THEY say group, you can't get a HIPAA certificate from them because it's still an active policy, and it wouldn't prove anything anyway - it's your old coverage information they need. So in that case ask them what they need from the old carrier to prove coverage so that you can invoke your rights under HIPAA. They will probably say a letter from the old carrier will do it. Then call the old carrier and arrange it. They're probably used to that.

If it turns out that both policies are considered individual and HIPAA does not apply, then the only thing you can do is call your state insurance commission and find out what, if any, limitations Ohio puts on pre-existing conditions.

You can also try getting your doctor to put it in writing that the two conditions are totally unrelated but that doesn't always do it.

M

meskate

hi. my previous insurance was also a group plan. this is what happened before i had the surgury. my ortho doctor called my insurance and they said they would not cover it because of a pre- existing. so i called the ins. company and they told me the same thing and that i would have to wait 1 year with having their insurance to go ahead with my surgery , then they would cover it. but there was no way to put this off for 1 year, it had to be done now. then i told my husband what they told me and he was furious so he called them back and talked to another representative and this person told him that there was no way that they can tell us that it is a pre-exist. until they get all the claims in front of them and then they would decide. he then called my ortho doctor back and the doctor was going to word the claim so that these conditions were not related(as you said to try to do). i was going to just give up on all of this after i talked to the ins. company the first time but i called everyone back(hospital, and all) and gave them my insurance information so they could send the claims in and see what we find out. i'll have to check into that certificate you had mentioned to. i just dont see that its fair that just because you switch insurance and they accept you as a customer that they can come back and say its a pre- existing. i guess thats just the way things are. i hope everything turns out well! thanks cbg!! sheri:)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sheri, if at least one of the two plans was a group plan, you were on the previous coverage for a year or more and there was no gap between coverages, then do not worry about this. Under HIPAA, they CANNOT call ANY condition pre-ex in these circumstances. They can and will investigate, but once you put that HIPAA certificate in their hands, the battle is over. You win. They say pre-ex, you say insurance commissioner. DO NOT worry about this any more. Let them investigate their little hearts out. As long as it's a group plan, you've already won; they just don't know it yet. Get that HIPAA certificate and you're golden.

M

meskate

thankx cbg. just called nationwide health insurance and they're going to send me that certificate. you put my mind a little more at peace!! thanks again, sheri

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">