• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? New York....I was involveed in an accident a few days ago. It was on the highway...A car had slipped on the ramp and hit a guardrail then 5 minutes later I came along and slipped in the same spot hit the guardrail and then hit the back of the car. I didnt have insurance on my car so I offered to pay them out of my own pocket. Is it illegal to pay them without going through an insurance company? Please help because I'm scared....they said it is fine that I pay them but I just want to make sure I wont get in trouble for it....also, the state trooper called my house asking for my information but I wasnt home...what should I do?...am I going to be arrested?


Junior Member
It is not illegal to pay out of pocket. It is illegal to not have insurance of course. Insurance companies would love nothing more than for you to pay out of you own pocket. Let's say you were in and accident and hit 5 cars and caused about $40k in damage. If you pay out of your pocket some insurance companies would even count that accident against you.

Remember, when you pay someone out of pocket always get proof. A receipt or a written agreement, anything. If not, that person could come around and try to claim against you twice. That is illegal to do, claiming twice after a final settlement, but if you were in court the only evidence would be his words against yours.

In regards to the state trooper, I have no idea what to tell you. The right thing would be to fess up I guess.


Senior Member
You can pay anyone out of pocket if you want to, no problem. Just get written, signed proof that you're paying them in full. Make sure to note this in the memo section of the check to, something like "payment in full for accident on" whatever date. Make sure in whatever you have the other person sign that it also says the payment in full is for all property damage, medical bills, and any and all other things related to the accident.

As for the state trooper, you need to call him. He's probably not going to just disappear... :) You'll probably get a ticket for driving without insurance and have to pay that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential