• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance recinded my policy and now will not refund premiums! HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I need advise. I am self employed and got insurance thru American Chambers 0n08/15/99. Paid all premiums. In may or June of 2000, they decided I was untruthful on my application and recinded my ins. back to the effective date. I completed the application in the manner the insurance agent told me to fill it out. Anyway. In June or July of 00 this company filed bankruptcy. They owe me appoximately $4000.00 in premiums. I have contacted the Texas board of Ins. where I live. I have contacted AMerican Chambers and the contingency agency that took over. I have medical bills coming out of every corner due to this fiasco becuase for a year my family of 5 thought we were insured. I had to have 2 surgical procedures during this time. What can I do to get this company to refund my money? I would love to sue them for all the stress they have caused this family but would not do much good as they are in bankruptcy!!
Thank You for any advise you can give me.




Dear KJRich77:
Yikes! What a mess!
This insurance company may not be refunding your money because they can't; the bankruptcy trustee may be controlling all assets and debts. Have you received any type of notice from the trustee? If so, that notice should tell you what you need to do to get your money. If not, consider talking with a local bankrtupcy attorney. And just because you talk to an attorney doesn't mean you have to hire one; you can pay for consultation time only. But at least that way you will get your questions answered. You may have to appear in bankruptcy court as a creditor to this insurance company to get your money back. If so, a bankruptcy attorney can give you a hand with this.
Best of luck to you,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential