• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Write-off for out-of-network

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Debra Cox

What is the name of your state? FL

The company I am employed with is a cardiac monitoring Independent Diagnostic Testing Facility (IDTF). As a result of the nature of our business, it is not uncommon to have claims paid at the out-of-network rate, which always results in a higher deductible and out-of-pocket expense for the patient. In addition, the patient is generally totally unaware that the cardiac monitoring (technical component) being ordered by their in-network provider is, in fact, being performed by an out-of-network provider.

My company is aware of this problem and is very sympthetic to the patient, and as a result, is willing to adjust the patient's liability to reflect in-network deductibles and co-payments, and only collect from the patient what would be due had the claim paid at in-network rates. However, I am not sure this is a permissible practice.

Is this type of practice permissible? Please advise and/or offer suggestions.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If a non-network facility is willing to accept the in-network rate as full payment, that is entirely up to them. No laws are being broken; no contract are being broken; it is perfectly permissable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">