• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lovellenaz

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Arizona
I work for a fire department and we do not have a section 218,( the department did not sign one years ago) but the county attorney says that I can not be exempt from paying SS, she said that only firefighters, and police officers are exempt from SS, which I know that is not true, but the Chief is on her side. The fire guys are in Public Safety and do not pay SS, just medicare. When they retire, they can pay for health insurance thru Public Safety, when I (Office Manager) retire I do not have that option. Is it legal for the department to offer a benefit package that does not inculde me? Thank you for your time.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"Is it legal for the department to offer a benefit package that does not inculde me? "

Most certainly. It is perfectly legal for benefits to be offered to only certain classes of employees (for example; field employees but not office employees; full time employees but not part time employees; employees in administration but not employees in sales; and so on). It's only illegal if benefits are offered/not offered on the basis of a protected characteristic (men but not women, caucasians but not hispanics, etc.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">