• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blutalon

What is the name of your state? N.C.

I work 36 hours a week for a private company. Everyone in the company has health insurance but since I don't work 40 hours a week I was told I did not qualify for it. Is it a law that if you work over 32 hours a week you are considered full time, and since heath insurance is offered to other employees would I not would qualify for it as well?

Thanks!

moburkes

No, it is not a law that you be offered insurance, when you work 32 hours/week, and your employer requires 40 hours/week for benefits.

Betty

Normally it is left up to the employer to determine who are to be considered full-time employees -- the # of hrs. that have to be worked to be considered full time. Apparently your employer requires a 40 hr. work week to be considered a full-time employee & to qualify for health ins.

ecmst12

These rules will actually be detailed in the plan documents for your employer's health insurance. Your employer can't just make up rules as they like, they will be specifically spelled out as to who is covered under the plan in those documents. And if they say you have to work 40 hours to be covered, then that's the rule; nothing illegal about it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In 48 out of 50 states, including NC, what is considered full time and what is considered part time is up to the employer. In the two remaining states, while in SOME circumstances what is full and part time is defined, the law does not require that health insurance be offered at all.

The ONLY state that mandates health insurance be offered is Hawaii, and Hawaii only requires it for full time employees.

So if your employer chooses to offer insurance to employees who work 40 hours a week or more, and you work 36 hours a week, it is quite legal for you NOT to be offered health insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">