• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sherell1976

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) SC Mom had insurance 20+ years she became ill with brain tumor and didn't make the payment insurance canceled on 1may2015 and she passed on 10may2015 is there anyway for insurance to pay out or recover the cash value she paid over the years.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hartsville, SC Mom had insurance 20+ years she became ill with brain tumor and didn't make the payment insurance canceled on 1may2015 and she passed on 10may2015 is there anyway for insurance to pay out or recover the cash value she paid over the years.
What did they say when you asked them?

My condolences for your loss.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hartsville, SC Mom had insurance 20+ years she became ill with brain tumor and didn't make the payment insurance canceled on 1may2015 and she passed on 10may2015 is there anyway for insurance to pay out or recover the cash value she paid over the years.
You really are going to need to speak to the insurance company. It may be that your mother stopped paying a long time ago and the policy's cash value was being used to cover the payments, and it was only cancelled after the cash value ran out.

Sherell1976

What did they say when you asked them?

My condolences for your loss.
They just say well there's nothing we can do, and another person told me to put the request in writing and i did. Then i was told they were investigating the case and that a correspondence letter was sent out when i called them recently. Well i haven't received any letter and when transferred to claims phone keeps hanging up. But basically i'm at a dead end. Even if not the full amount but the cash value at least.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
They just say well there's nothing we can do, and another person told me to put the request in writing and i did. Then i was told they were investigating the case and that a correspondence letter was sent out when i called them recently. Well i haven't received any letter and when transferred to claims phone keeps hanging up. But basically i'm at a dead end. Even if not the full amount but the cash value at least.
Was it a term policy or a whole life policy?

Sherell1976

You really are going to need to speak to the insurance company. It may be that your mother stopped paying a long time ago and the policy's cash value was being used to cover the payments, and it was only cancelled after the cash value ran out.[/QUO My mother has always been up to date on her payments we found money order receipts when cleaning the house. So from the time they say she missed a payment it was two months and those were the months she under surgery for brain tumors, and it canceled on 1may2015.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Let me see if I can clarify.

There is nothing in the law that is going to force them to pay anything if the policy had cancelled prior to her death. There is no law you can invoke that will require them to repay the premiums she paid while the policy was in force. There are no laws anywhere in the US that are going to make them pay a single penny unless the policy was up to date on the day of her death.

I understand that sounds harsh. I do not intend it to. The law is not warm and fuzzy. I am not trying to be cruel or unfeeling, but the law is not on your side here.

You don't get your auto insurance premiums back if you don't have an accident. You don't get your health insurance premiums back if you never have to go to the doctor or hospital. And you don't get your life insurance premiums back if you let the policy lapse a short time before your death.

Once again, I am not trying to be harsh or unfeeling. Really I'm not. I do understand that these are unusual circumstances here. But it's going to be entirely up to the insurance company whether they are going to look at those circumstances and make an exception for you. The law is not going to force them to do it. Anything they do is going to be a goodwill gesture. They are within their legal rights to say no.

You have my sympathies on your loss.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">