• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

intent to file for relocation ! what if he doesnt agree !?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? OHIO

I plan to relocate to another state with my 13 yr old son.
I have shared parenting plan with my ex. He has not given
me an answer yet on whether he is ok with this or not.
I plan to file an intent to relocate and see what happens.
If he does not agree, i assume HE would have to initiate
court procedings.... does this go on and on and on ?
Or would a court decide in a few weeks ?
Thanxs 1


Senior Member
Why would you want to alienate your son from his father?

Yes, the NCP can take you to court to stop the relocation. He could even argue that it's not in the best interests of the child to uproot his entire life at this point. He could fight for custody.

He could also allow you to move and then insist that you pay all travel costs for his share of the parenting. It's only fair, you're the one moving, not him.

Your order states shared parenting. How is he supposed to share in the parenting of his child who is so far away?


Thanxs for your response and I appreciate your thoughts
He has not paid any child support and owes over 35,000.00
He has not attended one school meeting or conference.
He is paying for 1/2 the cost of braces , and Im paying the
other 1/2 although it was supposed to be the whole amount
and is way behind in those payments.
I am the one who drops my son off and picks him up every
other weekend from his father, his father wont do it otherwise.
My son wants to move and finanially it is in my best interest
to get another job. My son will see his father during school
breaks, only because the court will order it.
Its about time someone talks understanding what REAL
parenting is about, not just because the courts call you one


Senior Member

I just want to give you a heads up on the relocation.

Just to play it safe you need to file a plan to relocate with the courts. You need to send a copy to the court house and your ex. Send them by certified mail, return receipt requested. Then you play the waiting game. You ex usually has XX amount of days to file a motion with the courts protesting your relocation. If he doesn't file, then it is safe to move. If he does file, you can not take the child(ren) out of the state until the issue is heard in court. Your plan needs to outline, where you are moving to, how you can be contacted, and a new plan for the visitation. Things of that nature, but double check with your state specifics.

DO NOT under any circumstances move before the time frame is up. If you do, your ex can take you back to court and in most states it is grounds for modification.

You might try a phone consultation with a lawyer from your state. Most will give you the first contact for free. He should be able to advice you on your state laws on relocations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential