• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intent to relocate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jkl098

What is the name of your state? Indiana
My ex moved and told me about it, but didn’t file the intent to relocate. A friend told me this is suppose to be done. My ex said she had not heard about it and I had t either before now. What should I do? Do I have to file a motion for anything to be done about it? Or should I let it go since parenting time has not been effected and she told me?

We settled everything outside of court and came to a mutual agreement. And are civil towards each other. We just aren’t sure what to do at his point since it is done.

Jkl098

Are there any court orders in place?
We have a court order. Our divorce decree. Which lays out our custody agreement. It all deviates from the Indiana parenting guidelines and this is not mentioned in the decree (the intent to relocate). We created the agreement ourselves on every topic from child support amount to parenting time. The judge signed off on it and we are civil. We work together and discuss everything.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Indiana
My ex moved and told me about it, but didn’t file the intent to relocate. A friend told me this is suppose to be done. My ex said she had not heard about it and I had t either before now. What should I do? Do I have to file a motion for anything to be done about it? Or should I let it go since parenting time has not been effected and she told me?

We settled everything outside of court and came to a mutual agreement. And are civil towards each other. We just aren’t sure what to do at his point since it is done.
If parenting time was not effected by the move, then I would let it be. Particularly since you and she appear to have a workable co-parenting relationship. Despite the requirements in the guidelines its always ok to just get along and do whatever you both agree to do.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
We have a court order. Our divorce decree. Which lays out our custody agreement. It all deviates from the Indiana parenting guidelines and this is not mentioned in the decree (the intent to relocate). We created the agreement ourselves on every topic from child support amount to parenting time. The judge signed off on it and we are civil. We work together and discuss everything.
Court orders are your friend.

The reason why people should file something with the court when they move is because sometimes the custodial parent will increase the distance significantly, and it becomes difficult and expensive for the other parent to exercise their parenting time.

You two seem to be in agreement. If there is language in the court order referring to where Mom lived, then just file a modification with a court to change that language to reflect where she currently lives.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
A lot also depends how far/where to Mom is relocating. Do you live in the same school district as your children?

LdiJ

A lot also depends how far/where to Mom is relocating. Do you live in the same school district as your children?
He said it was a 30 minute distance. In Indiana that would almost always mean another school district. The one exception might be if they were in a sparsely populated county, there are a few where the whole county is a consolidated school district.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
He said it was a 30 minute distance. In Indiana that would almost always mean another school district. The one exception might be if they were in a sparsely populated county, there are a few where the whole county is a consolidated school district.
Perhaps he posted that wherever else he posted - I wasn't inclined to search for it. I was wondering whether he lived in the SD where the children previously attended. That might have given him the ability to switch custody prior to the move, but that's kind of moot now, anyway...

Jkl098

Parenting time hasn’t changed either. She has been doing the extra work to ensure he gets to me on my time

LdiJ

Parenting time hasn’t changed either. She has been doing the extra work to ensure he gets to me on my time
Again, if you are both ok with things how they are, there is absolutely no requirement that you do anything about it legally. The laws are there to protect parents who are being treated wrongly by the other parent. They are not there to "big brother" parents who are getting along and co-parenting well together.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Again, if you are both ok with things how they are, there is absolutely no requirement that you do anything about it legally. The laws are there to protect parents who are being treated wrongly by the other parent. They are not there to "big brother" parents who are getting along and co-parenting well together.
Nevertheless, it is good to have court orders acknowledging the status quo.

LdiJ

Nevertheless, it is good to have court orders acknowledging the status quo.
I am not sure what you mean by that in this instance. Are you talking in general or are you talking specifically about her move? If you are talking in general I agree with you for the most part, but many parents make minor adjustments from time to time in their co-parenting relationship and its honestly not necessary to waste the court's time with every little thing. In fact, the Indiana Parenting Time Guidelines are extremely comprehensive and extensively discuss working with each other on minor things.

A 30 minute move can be a big deal in some situations, however these parents get along well, their child is homeschooled and mom is doing all of the work to make sure that dad has all of his parenting time. (per dad), therefore there is honestly nothing to go to court about.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I am not sure what you mean by that in this instance. Are you talking in general or are you talking specifically about her move? If you are talking in general I agree with you for the most part, but many parents make minor adjustments from time to time in their co-parenting relationship and its honestly not necessary to waste the court's time with every little thing. In fact, the Indiana Parenting Time Guidelines are extremely comprehensive and extensively discuss working with each other on minor things.

A 30 minute move can be a big deal in some situations, however these parents get along well, their child is homeschooled and mom is doing all of the work to make sure that dad has all of his parenting time. (per dad), therefore there is honestly nothing to go to court about.
The agreement the currently have is a court order, not a court suggestion.

Updating it, while BOTH parents are in agreement, is not a waste of time.

It also SAVES court time, should there be a disagreement at a future date, to have the actual agreement reflected in the court orders.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">