• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

interest due on security deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

beefoxy

Please help! I have been in my apartment in Chicago, IL for about 12 years now. My rent has went from 500.00 to 550.00 which is not bad, I know. But my landlord has not done any repairs since we've been there. Also I have never signed a lease. Last year, my landlord brought a piece of paper over saying that we had to sign it - the paper stated that they were giving a name to their building whereas before I just paid the rent directly to the landlord. Last week I came home to find a piece of paper that says that they have a $500 security deposit with us as of last year and they owe us 30.00 in interest - which they want us to deduct from our rent. Is this legal and also don't they still owe us for the past ten years. Did they pull a fast one on us last year by having us sign this paper (not a lease). Can we sue? I would appreciate any help - three years ago I submitted a list of about 20 things that needed to be done around the apartment - only one thing on that list has been done. Please help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">