• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interesting debt situation, please give advice.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sphynx4122

What is the name of your state? Kansas

Ok, I owe maybe 30k. I am married, recently, but her parents don't know about it yet. We are planning on being officially married in about a year. I live with her, but all the stuff in her apartment is hers, none of it is mine. I own one car. I have already read the FAQs, etc. I understand Chapter 7 proceedings (I think). My main question is.... is her stuff going to be taken? Do I have to prove it's not mine? If so, how? I finally decided to file, because a creditor called HER dad's office today, no clue how they got the number (her dad is an eye doctor, nice and embarassing).
Please someone help me!! I'm calling a lawyer in the morning, but would appreciate your advise!

JETX

If the property is not yours, it would not be subject to forfeiture due to your filing.

HomeGuru

sphynx4122 said:
What is the name of your state? Kansas

I am married, recently, but her parents don't know about it yet. We are planning on being officially married in about a year.

**A: what's the difference between being married and being officially married?

Ladynred

HG, in this case, I think he means 'official' in that the families will be told and be allowed to participate.. LOL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">