• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

interesting letter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

avmaster

What is the name of your state? maryland
i'm not sure how to condense this so i'll present it word for word; i'm curious what the legal community thinks:
Q-a men's rights group is using Roe vs Wade to sue for reproductive choice for men-legal right to opt out of fatherhood. They state that because the government can't force women to be mothers, forcing men to be fathers should be declared unconstitutional. What do you think?
A-I think the point is weak, they would not be opting out of fatherhood, instead, they would be opting out of financial responsibility; women can opt out of motherhood by abortion but not financial responsibility for a child who is born so the comparison isn't valid. However these men have a stronger point they could use-because nature didn't make men and women alike, they could argue that it's impossible for the government to treat them that way. In other words, even if women have the right to end a pregnancy, men will never have the right to end one. The resultant "rights" inequity can be ended if men aren't involuntarily included by the government in the first place. That is, it would be fair to make fatherhood(with financial responsibility) a role to opt INTO, not a role to opt out of. This is a point that could be argued effectively.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">