• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intermediate Recruiter Won't Pay Up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NMM

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

Hope this is the correct forum, if not, please advise.

I started my own small business when moving back from NV to CT. I hired a company in Vegas to start my own S Corp.

Since then, I've consulted in CT without issues. However, I've finished a project at the end of October 2008, and haven't received payment on the hours I've worked on the project since the middle of October (for hours worked in September and October). I started this project in June 2008.

Brief history: I'm unfortunately going through two layers of headhunters. Payment goes from Client to HH1 to HH2 to me, in order of payment. I invoiced HH2, and sent my hours, approved and signed by the Client to HH1. HH1 bills the Client.

I've sent (via fax) invoices and hours every week to the appropriate parties. I became frustrated with the time it took HH2 to pay me, they were constantly going past Net 30, and my payment system was set at Net 15. I finally terminated the project, giving 30 days notice at the beginning of October as the contract asked for, and left at the end of October, and haven't been paid since the middle of October. That payment was for hours in the first weeks of September. Now they owe me for the rest of September and all of October. I've sent (via fax) a "Past Due" notice to HH2 every week my system said anything was past Net 15. I have all my faxing software reports showing they've received them.

Neither HH1 nor HH2 will return my calls. The Client said they paid HH1 in the beginning of November, and gave me transaction information.

Here's the rub. I've never had any problems getting paid as a consultant. I even had another contract that had this convoluted "three-tier" flow. So, when I signed the contract for this project, I didn't even notice there were no specific payment terms in the contract itself. :eek: Wow, shame on me, huh?

There must be something I can do legally. I have all the proof that the client approved my work (signed hours sheets), and that they've received payment from the client for that work.

Thanks in advance for any legal advice.

Last edited:

ecmst12

As an independent contractor, your recourse is a lawsuit. Depending on the amount you are seeking, it could be small claims or regular court; you will need a lawyer for regular court.

NMM

As an independent contractor, your recourse is a lawsuit. Depending on the amount you are seeking, it could be small claims or regular court; you will need a lawyer for regular court.
I have a feeling it goes beyond small claims, but what's the dollar figure cutoff for small claims court?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">