• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

International custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krika24

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I am the mother and have physical custody of my son from birth, the father never shown an interest in the child and is always in arrears on child support, our 2004 divorce agreement gives me custody but require that i get his authorization for out of the country move. I got a good job offer in Canada but he refused authorization and suddenly is very interested on his visitation rights (he is still in arrears for 12 months) and entered with a pettition for custody.
I was able to get a temporary order from the judge to move but now the judge has issued an order to produce child in 3 days, I´ve lost my confidence in my attorney and do not understand the change in the proceedings.
I do not have a visa to return to the US and am worried that if I send child alone the judge will change custody. Child does not have a US passport to return either, I have applied for one but don´t think I´ll get it before friday.

i´m currently in my home country waiting for the Canadian visa and am lost about what to do now. can I write a letter to the judge explaining why child cannot be in court?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I am the mother and have physical custody of my son from birth, the father never shown an interest in the child and is always in arrears on child support, our 2004 divorce agreement gives me custody but require that i get his authorization for out of the country move. I got a good job offer in Canada but he refused authorization and suddenly is very interested on his visitation rights (he is still in arrears for 12 months) and entered with a pettition for custody.
I was able to get a temporary order from the judge to move but now the judge has issued an order to produce child in 3 days, I´ve lost my confidence in my attorney and do not understand the change in the proceedings.
I do not have a visa to return to the US and am worried that if I send child alone the judge will change custody. Child does not have a US passport to return either, I have applied for one but don´t think I´ll get it before friday.

i´m currently in my home country waiting for the Canadian visa and am lost about what to do now. can I write a letter to the judge explaining why child cannot be in court?
A letter will do nothing. How did you move the child out of the country without a passport for the child? You need to get back here for court. If you do not and do not send the child you will lose custody. If you do not return with the child to attend court you can lose custody. And how far he is in arrears on child support means nothing. What does the exact wording for the temp order state for the move? When was it granted? When did you move?

LdiJ

How old is your child?
Where was your child born?
What is your home country?
How long have you and the child been there?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">